Archery Talk Forum banner

Done broke my wrist!!!!

2480 23
Well it happened today. 2 days before season starts. Broke my right wrist and I'm totally depressed!! Oh well, that's my luck. Friend said just use a crossbow!!! I about knocked him out!!!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
Why not?

I know for sure if I broke my wrist two days before season, I wouldnt have a problem swallowing my pride and taking a crossbow in the woods!! I would atleast get in a tree and take pics and say hey look what I could have shot..haha!! Tough Luck man sorry to hear that, but may I ask what your reasoning behind not wanting to take a crossbow under the circumstances?? If it makes you feel better, make a limit for yourself...say Im only gonna shoot if the deer gets within X amount of yards??? Hope everything heals up good for you and you are back to shooting in no time!!!

· Registered
1,714 Posts
Hopefully you only broke your radius or ulna. I broke my scaphoid (one of the carpel bones), and it took about 4 months and one surgery to heal properly. If you only had a run of the mill broken wrist, you should be shooting your bow pretty soon. Best of luck with it and listen to your doctor :)

· Registered
Hoyt RX7 U, Mathews V3X, Halon 32, Elites
8,519 Posts
Broken Wrist

I broke my wrist (rt Scaphoid bone) 3 years ago and hunted despite the fracture. I hunted with a splint and the trigger release around the splint. I arrowed a buck with the splint on. a lot depends on the fracture, the cast, surgery etc. My orthopedic Doc said I would'nt be able to hunt. Never missed a day.

Slowen
P.S. Don't listen to doctors.
P.S.S I am a doctor.
P.S.S.S You can listen to me.

· Registered
338 Posts
Why not

Well it happened today. 2 days before season starts. Broke my right wrist and I'm totally depressed!! Oh well, that's my luck. Friend said just use a crossbow!!! I about knocked him out!!!
You have waited all year for hunting season. It is here. You can not use your regular bow.
Why would you not use a cross bow?

I have never shot one myself but I would in your suitiation. I see nothing wrong with it. Your getting out of bed to kill something either way. It is not like your playing tag with it.

Dead is dead, nomater how you poke the hole in it.

Blue X

· Registered
2,614 Posts
I broke my wrist (rt Scaphoid bone) 3 years ago and hunted despite the fracture. I hunted with a splint and the trigger release around the splint. I arrowed a buck with the splint on. a lot depends on the fracture, the cast, surgery etc. My orthopedic Doc said I would'nt be able to hunt. Never missed a day.

Slowen
P.S. Don't listen to doctors.
P.S.S I am a doctor.
P.S.S.S You can listen to me.
atta boy!!

· Administrator
65,643 Posts
You have waited all year for hunting season. It is here. You can not use your regular bow.
Why would you not use a cross bow?

I have never shot one myself but I would in your suitiation. I see nothing wrong with it. Your getting out of bed to kill something either way. It is not like your playing tag with it.

Dead is dead, nomater how you poke the hole in it.

Blue X
Was faced with the same situation several years ago.. .broke my left twice in a row.. no way I could handle the compression of the bow.. I used a crossbow for two seasons.. went back to a compound as soon as I could, but at least I was out hunting.. :wink: :cheers:

· Registered
134 Posts
I believe I would be crying harder over the possibility of missing hunting season than the broken bone.

I believe I would have to be on my death bed to miss it.

I have a friend that just had shoulder surgery and is unable to hunt but he is busy rehabbing himself shooting his sons 20 pound draw bow.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
I say, shoot that crossbow !

I consider a powerful crossbow more ethical than any compound because a model like the Stryker can blow thru both shoulders of a deer and give it much less chance of ducking the arrow at the shot or being wounded if the arrow hits bone and the deer runs off and is lost.
Talking about compound distances too, not 60+ yard shots !
Jmo, the Stryker is much more impressive than any compound I have ever seen.
Totally non biased opinion, as I don't own a crossbow ! :)
BTW, hope you use your good hand when you try to knock your friend out. :)

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
dang right. I wouldnt even let a broken leg keep me out of the woods. much less a little wimpy broken wrist. :) go get that crossbow and go hunting.

· Registered
593 Posts
I consider a powerful crossbow more ethical than any compound because a model like the Stryker can blow thru both shoulders of a deer and give it much less chance of ducking the arrow at the shot or being wounded if the arrow hits bone and the deer runs off and is lost.
Talking about compound distances too, not 60+ yard shots !
Jmo, the Stryker is much more impressive than any compound I have ever seen.
Totally non biased opinion, as I don't own a crossbow ! :)
BTW, hope you use your good hand when you try to knock your friend out. :)
i think what no-one has mentioned is that good-excellent crossbows(stryker) can be really expencive!.....especially after buying tags and ontop you have to buy crossbow bolts....i know even if i wanted to i coulndnt crossbow hunt as a replacement for a compound:confused:

· Registered
1,310 Posts
I feel for you I had back surgery at end of July and put end to my season, might be able to gun hunt.
As for crossbow here in Ct. they only allow it after a special hearing there are 2 a year and you need Dr. proof of disability.Not a option for me.

· Registered
517 Posts
I feel the same way that you do about a crossbow but if it's that or no huntin', heck! Go huntin'!

I broke my collarbone in June and thought I'd been in the same boat and was even shopping around for one. A surgeon talked me into surgery and promised me I'd be in the woods for opening day with a bow in my hand if I had it so it was a "no-brainer" for me.

Go buy a crossbow and don't miss out this year! Good luck to you!

· Registered
231 Posts
In Colorado you can only use a crossbow in rifle season, so I don't think there are many people here who use them, since you can't hunt with them in archery season.

Crossbows seem like cheating to me (IMO) but since you busted your wrist...I think we could convene a meeting of the Most High AT Council of Elders to vote to make an exception for you and allow you to use a crossbow with our blessing and without shame or shunning, (only this once of course!)
So get out there and kill something man!

:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.