Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunted last night and saw 16 deer including a little 8 pointer. The last deer to come in was 1/2 again bigger than the rest. I thought it might be the BIG 8 pointer I've been targeting - but when I got a good look at him he didn't have any antlers. I could see the bare peticals on his head. I'm pretty sure this was the big 8 that had shed his antlers already.

The joy of hunting up north - bucks begin losing antlers in mid Dec - normally the biggest bucks first.

Oh well, I started in Aug so over 4 months is enough - I'm tired.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
As I get older the cold gets to me.. I have been at it since Sept 15th.. it's almost getting to feel like a job...season ends Feb 1.. but I will be done in ct by xmas. Good to hear you had a safe season..

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I shot a decent 8 one year on Dec 11th....
Started tracking and found where he went through some thick brush and an antler was on the ground!
Went about twenty more yards and there he was bald as a baby....rolled him over and his other antler was underneath him.
The price we pay for cold weather hunting.....
At least yours will have a chance to be bigger next year.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I do hope you had a great huntin season. Now as we all knowed is time to get all the things ready fer the comin season. Yeah the ones it took us a month into this season to get right. My season ens Jan. 15th but i stop on when my ML season is over, evenin of Jan. 2nd. I dislike shootin a nice buck n his antlers fall off!

·
<--best man Ive known
1,466 Posts
Man, that stinks. Had that happen with a huge 8 3 and 4 years ago...but it was the 10th of December.

Where in the yoop are you? I recruited in Houghton from 88-90 and have cousins in Munising, Eben Junction and Stephenson.

·
today's macguyver
5,678 Posts
Carl i am going to hunt 2 or 3 more days and i am done as well ,been at it almost every nigh since Oct 1st .
Need to get building some bows ,lol.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I understand the feeling, guys.

Season begins here first week of Sept and goes to 3rd week of Jan. But I never hunt that long. Here, if I don't fill my tags before the gun season, it most likely won't happen. Deer turn nocturnal for the most part after the orange army hits the woods.

Heck, I was worn out this year by the second week of Nov just prior to the gun season. So you guys have my respect for hunting so long into the year. I was ready to hang it up for the year when I filled my last tag three days prior to the gun season. It was a rough year for this old boy but I was able to fill all 4 of my tags once again.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Kudos for holding off for a goal you set for yourself. Glad you are seeing deer. That always makes it worthwhile. Our season starts up again on the 26th. I'll be out watching squirrels and birds because "You never know when it might happen.":wink: The properties I've been hunting have been slowly declining for the last 8-9 years. Time to find some new places, I suppose.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Going out this afternoon for an evening hunt. Talking 46° today. Cooler tomorrow and then the cold drops in. Will do more after Christmas. Have till January 10th to use the tag. Would really like to fill it this year so not going to be very picky as long as it isn't a yearling. Any adult will go in the freezer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts