Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm done with slick trick broadheads after tearing a hole through a deer with the dull out of the package blades and making a clean surgical incision through a large cow elk with a razor sharp out of the package thunderhead.

I have 3 brand new heads with blades and a brand new package of replacement blade, plus 5 heads that have not been used only assembled and carried in my quiver and 2 practice heads with blades that I will trade for 1 brand new box of 100gr thunderheads.

I gave them a try and have gone back to tryed and true NAP thunderheads.

Terry

PM me if you are interested in the trade.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Oh my...

IMHO this thread is useless bashing. I don't even shoot them but I hear the dullness issue was fixed with the new 2006 heads, and if it wasn't, sharpen them or don't shoot them, but don't use them and bash them especially on a successful kill. If you don't want to shoot them, then switch to T-heads and :zip:

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
bowhuntin_kid said:
IMHO this thread is useless bashing. I don't even shoot them but I hear the dullness issue was fixed with the new 2006 heads, and if it wasn', sharpen them or don't shoot them, but don't use them and bash them especially on a successful kill. If you don't want to shoot them, then switch to T-heads and :zip:

This pretty much sums up this worthless thread

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
No more worthless than every other thread on here being some poser spouting regurgitated nonsense about how " I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW GREAT MY _______ SHOOT!!!"

Guy's unhappy with their perfomance. Doesn't mean they suck or your a loser for shooting them...just his opinion.

Suck it up.

Or am I uselessly bashing the whiners?:brick:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
First off ... you're a knucklehead for using a "dull" broadhead in the first place ... ("IF" indeed it was!) Any hunter worth his salt would have picked up on a sharpness "issue" as soon as he opened a package of any brand of broadhead. Then he would have either spent a whopping 5 minutes putting an edge on the blades ... OR ... if he was a whiner ... sent it back. Stick with Thunderheads; they're a very good blade ... you just ain't a Slick Trick kind of guy. :wink:

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Xtecera said:
First off ... you're a knucklehead for using a "dull" broadhead in the first place ... ("IF" indeed it was!) Any hunter worth his salt would have picked up on a sharpness "issue" as soon as he opened a package of any brand of broadhead. Then he would have either spent a whopping 5 minutes putting an edge on the blades ... OR ... if he was a whiner ... sent it back. Stick with Thunderheads; they're a very good blade ... you just ain't a Slick Trick kind of guy. :wink:
Well said.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I agree. If they werent sharp you should have taken the time to sharpen them no matter what brand they are. We owe that to the animals.

rick

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shame on him and I'm not a ST guy.....we owe to the animal to make sure our gear and our ability can get it done. He failed himself and the animal and should look no further than the mirror for blame.

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
5,233 Posts
TheHairlessone! said:
I agree. If they werent sharp you should have taken the time to sharpen them no matter what brand they are. We owe that to the animals.

rick
Now that makes sense but I won't call his thread useless. He has the right to vent or say what he wants but preventive maintenance will take care of most problems. I'm shooting older Slick Tricks and just sharpened them several days ago so I don't think there will be an issue.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I find it ironic that unless you belong to an archery forum you would have NO idea that the ST's you bought last year were dull out of the package. Maybe I missed something but I thought the whole idea of buying replacement blade broadheads was so you could replace the blades when they were not sharp anymore. I quit using muzzy 4 blade heads because they require you to sharpen them before you could use them. I've shot ST's and they're a nice broadhead, but so are a lot of broadheads and they come sharp out of the package. Guess I just don't get the lovefest, but then I don't get it regarding bows either.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I would have a hard time thinking Slick Tricks is a bad broadhead or you would not hear so much hooplah over them, but there is no doubt Thunderheads are on of the classics. Either way you go you will probably have a good broadhead.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I've got 5 heads from slick tricks from 2004 that were somewhat sharp when I got them, but after spending close to an hour sharpening all 12 sets of blades...(I lost a few, broke a couple more) they were sharp enough. Now they are my practice blades and I love them. If I ever need some more backup heads all I've got to do is put them on the lansky and then of course the strop and they will be once again razor sharp.

Now onto the 06 heads. I ordered a set of standards replacement heads in June...in August I emailed Gary and said that I needed the blades or that I'd like one pack of the magnums to defray the cost of the replacement heads. Instead he sent me two packs of 2006 Magnum heads. Now thats customer service!! As far as sharpness...it was by far the sharpest blades that I have had from him. Popped the hair right off of my arms.

Take last night for instance. I usually that the blades and strop them on my leathers just to get them extra sharp. Well I did the first three and thought..I must be really good. Took the next three out and wasn't paying attention to my thumb...it just lightly slipped across one of the blades and it sliced on layer of skin off. Nothing to stop me from shooting but it did make a believer out of me. I didn't have to strop those blades...they were just to sharp. Also, while shooting of the of the 06' magnums to determine if they hit with my field points I must have torqued the bow becuase it almost missed the broadhead target i have and went into the leg of my 3d target. I pulled out the arrow and the broadhead was still shaving sharp. Even after taking 10 shots into my broadhead target this head is still hunting sharp.

So Waelkhtr, I think I have 5 heads of thunderheads that I'll trade you for your dull heads. Let me look for them and we can talk about a trade. I think the Thunderheads are sharp too, but I just like the ST. So when I get home I'll dig them out of my stuff.

Paul

·
Registered
36 Posts
Xtecera said:
i thought the same thing...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
THANKS FOR POSTING THIS AND SAVING ME SOME MONEY, IF MORE PEOPLE WERE HONEST ABOUT WHAT WAS JUNK AND WHAT WASN'T I'LD HAVE A LOT MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET. SLICK TRICKED YOU OUT OF MORE MONEY:confused:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Go easy guys! I'd love for waelkhntr to elaborate on what really happened. Did he recover the animal after a long trail? Etc....

On the other hand maybe he is trying to say "why bother with shaperning etc ,when brand X is just as good".

·
Registered
702 Posts
GATOR-EYE said:
THANKS FOR POSTING THIS AND SAVING ME SOME MONEY, IF MORE PEOPLE WERE HONEST ABOUT WHAT WAS JUNK AND WHAT WASN'T I'LD HAVE A LOT MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET. SLICK TRICKED YOU OUT OF MORE MONEY:confused:
I hope you realize, this is the first negative post on a slick trick I have ever seen. They are arguably the finest BH on the market, and certainly the best flying BH I have ever used.
Dan

1 - 20 of 153 Posts