Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd tell y'all about the lesson I learned today. I was trying to put a rest on a new Bowtech Tribute last night but there was so much camo coating in the berger hole that the mounting screw kept crossthreading. I could get it to thread from the arrow shelf side of the riser, but it wasn't long enough to reach the threads on the other side to straighten them out. So I thought no problem I'll just get a tap and run it through there. So this morning I called the Bowtech and at first the tech wasn't there so they told me to call back. I then got on archerytalk and found one thread stating that they thought the thread size was 5/16"-24 thread. I then called Bowtech and the tech said he didn't know and would go ask the guys in the back. He came back a couple minutes later and told me it was 5/16"-18NC thread. So I picked up a tap and die set on the way home, but the 18 thread tap didn't want to thread into the hole. I looked at it closer and compared the thread on the tap to the rest mounting screw and noticed they were different. I then compared the screw to the 24 thread tap and they looked the same so I tried it and it threaded right in and I fixed my problem. But I learned not to just automatically trust the people that made the product because they sometimes get confused to. So for anyone else out there wondering what the size is for the berger hole in the riser it is 5/16"-24 fine thread. So tomorrow I guess I'll call Bowtech back and tell the guy what the correct thread size is.
Kody

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Kody...trust AT...not BT:wink:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yes, the tap sizes are an AMO standard. Most of us know them. Most of the threads on a bow are UNF series. I do believe, the sight mounts are #10-24UNC though.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Why didn't you just take the rest bolt with you when you purchased a tap? Seems the simple thing to have done:)
I know most companies are swamped this time of year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts