Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the excitement and adrenaline-pumpin' all of us are feeling right now to get in the woods (and all the well-meaning advice to "hunt hard", etc, etc), there is often the tendency to overhunt your best big-buck stand locations and burn-out the area by the time "Showtime" is here (first 2 weeks of November in most of the country)....

Personally, I fill my doe-tags during the first 3 weeks of October in my less-likely big buck stands and STAY AWAY from my BEST buck-stands until November 1st or so.....

I don't want to mess with the doe's that the Big Boys will be trailing.....they are the best bait out there for the mature bucks!

The does (and the bucks) will pattern you from all the scent you leave if you hammer 'em too hard in October.....

Huntin' hard is good......huntin' SMART is even better! :wink:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easykeeper said:
Good advice, now I just need to come up with a couple "best big-buck stands"...:embara: :rolleyes:

Most of the time, when you have multiple stand locations, there will be those that show better activity than others (heavier trails, rub-lines or scrape-lines) that indicate a higher degree of buck-activity......the stands where you might say "I got a good feeling about today, 'cause the wind is perfect for ______ stand!"

Those are the "best" stand-sites I was referring to.....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Good Advice...I've followed that same philosophy for the last 8 yrs or so. I raely hunt the same stand more than a couple times per yr and I save my best stands for the best times...I have stands that when I go into them on a cold early nov. morning I just know I'm gonna see a good buck.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've started doing this, finding easy access doe stands that may not be the best spots but are still ones where you can pick off a doe or 3 early in the season. I've saved stands that I don't go into until halloween.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts