Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some decent bucks coming out into a soybean field and want to try taking one from the double bull. According to the 50/100 rule if you have 100 yards of visibility you should put it out in the open. I just don't see these bucks entering this field with a blind in the middle of it. There is a ravine running out into the middle of the field and the bucks seem to follow the edge of this into the field. I was thinking of placing the blind at the head of the ravine and brushing it in. There are some nice overhanging limbs which will help to break up the blind. Any advice about the 50/100 rule would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
I have some decent bucks coming out into a soybean field and want to try taking one from the double bull. According to the 50/100 rule if you have 100 yards of visibility you should put it out in the open. I just don't see these bucks entering this field with a blind in the middle of it. There is a ravine running out into the middle of the field and the bucks seem to follow the edge of this into the field. I was thinking of placing the blind at the head of the ravine and brushing it in. There are some nice overhanging limbs which will help to break up the blind. Any advice about the 50/100 rule would be greatly appreciated.
I know nothing about a 50/100 rule but I don't see mature whitetail bucks coming to within range of a blind popped out in the middle of a field unless the blind has been out there for a couple weeks. I'm sure its possible, but highly unlikely.

I like option #2 you mentioned.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know anything about the rule. But I have hunted with a double bull for several years. I always brush it in when deer hunting. You can just pop it up anywhere with Turkeys though.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I just read an article in...I think it was north american whitetail about ground blind hunting and decoying. What it said was very similar. If you can tuck the blind into the field edge and brush it in very well then do so. If not it can be ok to just leave it stand alone in the feild as long as the deer that will be coming in can see it from a distance. If they can see it from a ways out they'll more than likely treat it like seeing a new round bale of hay in the field. But if they can't see it until they are within 50 or less yards, odds are it will startle them when the do see it. If you have a decoy out then the blind in the open is not very likely to spook them either because there is already a deer there and he's cool with it. May want to try a decoy. No experience, just passing on what i have read, this will be my first year trying out the ground blind.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I just read an article in...I think it was north american whitetail about ground blind hunting and decoying. What it said was very similar. If you can tuck the blind into the field edge and brush it in very well then do so. If not it can be ok to just leave it stand alone in the feild as long as the deer that will be coming in can see it from a distance. If they can see it from a ways out they'll more than likely treat it like seeing a new round bale of hay in the field. But if they can't see it until they are within 50 or less yards, odds are it will startle them when the do see it. If you have a decoy out then the blind in the open is not very likely to spook them either because there is already a deer there and he's cool with it. May want to try a decoy. No experience, just passing on what i have read, this will be my first year trying out the ground blind.
I have done this several times and it works, Make sure to play the wind right though!

·
Registered
196 Posts
do whatever suites you and is safe.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Blind with a decoy

If you are going to put the blind out in the open with a buck decoy, have the decoy NOT staring at the blind, angle him to face the corner of the blind, like he is looking past it. That way an incoming buck has his attention drawn to the buck decoy and where he is looking, not at the blind.
A buck decoy should be placed looking in the hunters direction and a doe decoy with her tail facing you, as you are situated downwind. This way an incoming buck swings around them to scent check the doe or challenge the buck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can you do it without a decoy? Or do your chances really diminish without it. The first time I used it in an open oak flat and it scared them to death. But I don't really know if they could have seen it from 100 yards or not. i have killed several with it brushed in including a 142" buck. I really like the idea of not having to brush it in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts