Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all this double wall arrow talk has me wondering. it may sound dumb but what is the purpose of a double wall arrow?

·
Arrow Whisperer
11,105 Posts
When you disrupt the oscillation of an arrow it basically reduces energy loss.

The sooner the arrow calms down the more accurate it is

The added tube we used to glue in the nose and the double tapp insert add durability

And tie in indexing, the grouping at long distance is more consistent

This can be done with standard arrows but you don't have the increase in energy savings and the improved durability

I didn't develop the Double Tapp insert to increase consistency and accuracy I developed it for increased durability and the extra efficiency and added energy savings

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
For me dialing in the preferred arrows dynamic spine to head on the front. There is a magic formula because just a ordinary insert of any weight doesn't get it for me. Adding 3.5" of carbon tube does though. IE. on my 22" shafts it makes them behave more like a 20" shaft(stiffer). Makes for a stronger front end too in high speed impacts. This arrow hit a doe fri night(~430fps at poi) top of shoulder ribs out and, 12" into some amount of frozen earth. This was kinda a eye opener cause even if it's only the first 4-6"? of earth frozen solid it's still like hitting a concrete wall. Everything but, the vanes survived. So after reading for years guys breaking arrows with lesser abuse I do think they are more impact resistant to failures. I have impacted rocks/trees too and, everyone I made to date is still going. Dented a few Slick Trick tips along the way too. Every arrow I've made is a double wall with 2 part epoxy so, either tuning to a stiffer shaft your setup prefers and, more abuse worthy is my answer.
If you shoot into blob or even the new Rinehart targets often they can wear the front of your shafts down some too. .004"a side sounds trivial but, if you mention approaching 20% of the shafts integrity it sounds more real. Can't hurt to have extra material inside at the greatest wear point either cause I doubt few folks check target wear stuff like this. So maybe one more to add a safer longevity arrow?lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see I have been wondering the benefits of doing It i never shot a double wall arrow...honestly I was wondering why either gold tip or black eagle didn't offer this

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
For me dialing in the preferred arrows dynamic spine to head on the front. There is a magic formula because just a ordinary insert of any weight doesn't get it for me. Adding 3.5" of carbon tube does though. IE. on my 22" shafts it makes them behave more like a 20" shaft(stiffer). Makes for a stronger front end too in high speed impacts. This arrow hit a doe fri night(~430fps at poi) top of shoulder ribs out and, 12" into some amount of frozen earth. This was kinda a eye opener cause even if it's only the first 4-6"? of earth frozen solid it's still like hitting a concrete wall. Everything but, the vanes survived. So after reading for years guys breaking arrows with lesser abuse I do think they are more impact resistant to failures. I have impacted rocks/trees too and, everyone I made to date is still going. Dented a few Slick Trick tips along the way too. Every arrow I've made is a double wall with 2 part epoxy so, either tuning to a stiffer shaft your setup prefers and, more abuse worthy is my answer.
If you shoot into blob or even the new Rinehart targets often they can wear the front of your shafts down some too. .004"a side sounds trivial but, if you mention approaching 20% of the shafts integrity it sounds more real. Can't hurt to have extra material inside at the greatest wear point either cause I doubt few folks check target wear stuff like this. So maybe one more to add a safer longevity arrow?lol
As far as the "wearing the front end of shaft down", I have several Tapps that will not "spin" on the front end without jumping when spun on an arrow spinner due to being shot into a Blob hundreds of times..

You can actually spin them between your fingers and feel the longitudinal ridges

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yea the ridges are from the blades protecting the shaft. See there's another good reason to have a gross of arrows ready to go. Less wear-n-tear on your shafts per shooting session.lol

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I see I have been wondering the benefits of doing It i never shot a double wall arrow...honestly I was wondering why either gold tip or black eagle didn't offer this
Well anymore Dorge has the patent. Problem is imo he uses the wrong main shaft and, has for years. In the big scheme of things I think GT is happy selling vert arrows. Face it they can't even glue in a factory brass insert to hold up to a few shots. BE seems to cater more to xbows but, dw takes extra time and, time is $. For those of us that care about our arrows we are a real small portion of the big pic. Why would the big guys care about double wall when most customers are happy with good enough? Not to mention someones ideal dw arrow could be a different configuration dw arrow for someone else.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
That's one reason I stopped shooting Slick Tricks. Yes they are a good shooting broadhead but the diameter of them doesn't even come close to matching up to the diameter of the shaft, maybe if they made them to match up or even just a couple thousandths bigger you wouldn't get the wear on the shaft and the penetration would have to be just as good if not better.

·
Vendor
2,400 Posts
I used to have them made and could go back to them the manufacture (black eagle) still has the mandrels to make them. I just feel there is way too much work to match them.

You can't build the double wall into shafts with an abrupt angle or square non radiused corner in the inside of the shaft. it needs to be a gradual angle from the double wall section to the single wall section

Plus laying up carbon takes a very light touch, matching overlaps etc.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ic I always wondered about double wall but honestly I thought it was for strength and penetration for big game I guess Magnum of arrows lol

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
Yeah Jerry but....they were some dang good arrows, I have 2 left from the testing days and wish I had a dozen of em ...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That's one reason I stopped shooting Slick Tricks. Yes they are a good shooting broadhead but the diameter of them doesn't even come close to matching up to the diameter of the shaft, maybe if they made them to match up or even just a couple thousandths bigger you wouldn't get the wear on the shaft and the penetration would have to be just as good if not better.
The stainless insert face is a larger od than the shaft. Makes me wonder how the target does close on a shaft? Even shooting some NAP fixed heads that are a larger OD than the shafts I remember seeing shaft wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts