Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all. I need some help.

I shot all year at 3D and did fairly well, including winning the Texas state championship in women's open. After taking a few weeks away from archery, I started to practice for bow season. I noticed that most - not all - of my shots are low and left. The ones that aren't are dead center. The shots tend to be 2-3 inches off center. I get excellent groups, though :)

I know it's not my bow, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what is happening.

I shoot right handed, Hoyt Cybertec and Havotec, 57 pounds. Carbon Express and Carbon Epics.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
my guess...

you are command shooting and peeking (raising your head to watch the arrow) at your arrow/target as you fire that arrow. when you do this, you will lower your bow arm and it will swing left.

trying keeping your arm extended toward the target, and head down as your fire the arrow. DON'T PEEK! just stay in the shot during the follow-through. that arrow will be waiting for you to view soon enough. don't try to beat it there...:D

...or work on a surprise release :cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with Oxford. Your bow arm is dropping and moving slightly left, a movement so subtle you cannot tell it is occurring; most commonly caused by taking your eye off the target even for a millesecond. With pins, this is common, since the pin covers the intended target, say the 5 ring, and your mind wants to move it to see the target while you want to keep it in the middle. The brain wins. I set my pin low so I can see the intended target.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I usually practice the first 10 and last 10 with my eyes closed, so I was wondering if that could be the case.

I'll try it again - only more consciously.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Low and Left

T,
I think Ox and Cam are right. I also think you could be letting your arm collapse just befor the release. If your just getting back into it, your form may not be all there yet. Don't let the bow creep, and don't let the bow arm drop until you hear the arrow smack the target .

Good luck,

contractpelot :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts