Archery Talk Forum banner

Draw arm shoulder injury...

1422 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  HOYT3065
Three weeks ago I shot my elk out of the treestand, the elk was kind of off to my right. Instead of drawing my bow with my bow arm to the left, I drew with it out to the right and drew with my right arm sticking out... something popped, ripped or something in my shoulder when my draw broke over...managed to get the shot off & get the elk, but had incredible pain:hurt:. When I raised my arm again after shooting, felt like it had been dislocated and then popped back in when I raised my upper arm. I'm not much for doctors, most things I just take Ibuprofen and it's better in a week...but this still hurts after three weeks. I can draw my bow if I do it right and concentrate on using the back muscles, but anything involving any type of range of motion hurts. It's better than it was but still pretty sore three weeks later. I Don't know what kind of injury I'm dealing with, do I rest it, excercise it, or stretch it? I have decided to call out local small town ortho doc tomorrow, but it is usually a week to get in with him (have taken my son to him several times for a skateboarding injury). Surely someone else out there on AT has dealt with a similar injury? Doc...you out there??:help:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,121 Posts
shoulder

rotator cuff tear. Will need an MRI. A sling may help some. Ice will help 2 Aleve twice a day with food. May find it bette with pain than motrin/advil.
Do no t sell small town docs short. I find this kind of practice very rewarding and they by and large will do you right.
Roy
Good luck.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rotator cuff tear. Will need an MRI. A sling may help some. Ice will help 2 Aleve twice a day with food. May find it bette with pain than motrin/advil.
Do no t sell small town docs short. I find this kind of practice very rewarding and they by and large will do you right.
Roy
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice...I've never dealt with any type of shoulder probs before and assumed it would just heal up in a week. Not selling small town docs short (he's a great Doc, one of the best I've ever seen, watching him with my son's arm) my point was I'd have to wait at least a week to get an appt with him, as he's the only ortho in town (that I know of anyway).
Thanks!

· Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm not a doctor but will share my experience... I had a bad shoulder from shooting bow which had been painful for about two years but I could still shoot. I thought I was just going to have to live with it but within a month it was nearly gone and there were two things I had done that may have helped.

1 Started drinking a lot of berry juice, mostly Cherry juice, and later found out that there is something in Cherry that helps. I did a search and discovered there a many juices being sold which claim to help heal joint pain; Aci Berry (sp?) and cherry concentrates.

2 At the same time I was on a Jell-O kick. Eating a bowl or a packet of Jell-O every other day. One interesting thing I noticed after a month, was a change in the quality of my finger and toe nails (much healthier looking and more pliable). This also could be connected to healing or restoring cartilage.

My shoulder pain is all but gone and I am shooting my bow a little every day. Coincendence? Maybe, but I am still drinking the juice and eating :darkbeer:Jello :darkbeer:

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Shoulder

I agree with ttl post on naturopathic supplements---blueberry and blackberry juices are great. The gelatin helps with cartilage problems. Utilize a sling to hold your arm until you see the doc. A lot of the problem is actually from the muscle spasms from the tear. Not a whole lot else that can be done til the visit and getting something a little better than the aleve. Good luck.
Roy

· Registered
165 Posts
I am not a doctor

but I have been dealing with shoulder issues for a few years. Specifically diagnosing the problem is key (impingement, rotator cuff tear. and arthritis in my case), as well as adhering to the appropriate physical therapy program.
I also take MSM and fish oil supplements daily.
The shoulder is the most complex tissue structure in your body, and can be very hard to get back to 100%, even with surgery.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Three weeks ago I shot my elk out of the treestand, ...
That would have been fun to see. I wonder how he got up there in the first place???:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a similar problem. I think it started with a rollover accident a few years ago and it crops up from time to time. If I move my arm up out to the side as if I'm carrying a bucket of water, it really aches and I can feel a "click" in my shoulder. If I do the same move palm up instead of palm down, the pain is nearly gone. My wife (a personal trainer) says I injured my "deltoid" muscle. She wants me to start Pilates workouts to work the area and eventually smooth out whatever is catching. Luckily for me, drawing a bow doesn't seem to bother it much. I have a "theraband" (5 ft long, 4 inch wide elastic sheet) and work my shooting muscles off and on during the day to keep loosened up.

· Registered
2,204 Posts
Never underestimate the benefits of a good massage (not a fluff and buff- a real massage). I've had multiple shoulder, hip, knee, and elbow injuries (former pro snowboarder). Massage, good food (and supplements) and alot of physical therapy have kept me out of surgery. Massage has always been the magic ingredient to unraveling the puzzle of "what the heck did I do to myself this time?" Best case scenario could involve a muscle pull and/ or spasm, which would be easily treated with massage. Any good therapist will know if it's something worse once they get their hands on you. Massage therapists aren't qualified to diagnose, so don't cancel your orthopod appointment, but I'm 100% certain that your shoulder- and the rest of your muscle groups will thank you for the time spent on the table, and I'm guessing you won't need to wait a week to get a massage appointment.
It works for me....

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Three weeks ago I shot my elk out of the treestand, ...

Dave V...
That would have been fun to see. I wonder how he got up there in the first place???:rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO:

Alright...you got me on that one...!

Thanks for the advice... I did make an appt. today, can't get me in for...one week, as I suspected. I dread going because you have to usually pay out all that $$$ just to hear them tell you there's not much they can do, take ibuprofen as needed...I am interested though to hear the diagnosis, although I don't know if I'll go through with the MRI or not, have to see what Insurance covers.

I will definately try the berry juice and the Jello and hopefully the Doc will tell me I can start excersizing it. I have been seeing some type of archery excersize device advertised in the mags, I forget what it's called.
I just got my 11 year old son (the one with the busted arm) a new Diamond Edge and am anxious to get out shooting with him as soon as he heals up...I took him 3D with me a few times last year and he's hooked...don't wanna miss out cause of a bum shoulder!

Attachments

· Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm dealing with the same type of injury right now and the worst part is, It happened the second day I went shooting my new hoyt. this is my first bow and i'm sure I was probably drawing incorrectly. I also shot a huge amount of arrows in those first two days. My pain is right in the top of my shoulder around the bone right in the center. At first I could barely lift my arm for like a few days and it has slowly progressed since. but still really tender. I'm anxious to hear what you find out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.