Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read something interesting yesterday. My Bowhunter magazine landed in my mail box. It had two bow reviews. One for the Maxxis 32 and one for the destroyer 350. Anyway, for both of these bows they showed a pretty good and detailed draw force curve. I'll try to scan it early in the morning when I get home but a few things surprised me.

a) the two curves were almost identical but the Maxxis started its drop into the valley just a hair before the destroyer.

b) after the transition into the valley the rate of drop for both bows was almost identical (I couldn't percieve a difference).

c) while the Maxxis did have a very slight bump before the valley the destroyer had none. It was perfectly flat right to the transition.

I haven't shot either bow so I don't know. I'm only commenting on the empirical data shown in the magazine. Has anyone else seen it and what surprised them???

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've shot both of them and they are very similar. The destroyer 350 seems to take a little more effort to get moving but not much. Both are very nice though.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any one else see the articles??

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
You talking about this article?

The Maxxis and the Destroyer 340 were compared.....

Although the above Bowtech pic is of the 350 model, I sure would like to shoot the Maxxis 31 and the 340....both seem to be super sweet. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Man, I know aesthetics shouldn't really matter, but I hate how the grip and limb graphics look on the Destroyer.
I agree completely, but for me it's the riser on the Hoyt that bothers me. That brace behind the grip is a total deal breaker for me. Whoever said beauty is in the eye of the beholder is right, LOL.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Man, I know aesthetics shouldn't really matter, but I hate how the grip and limb graphics look on the Destroyer.
I'm one who doesn't think the graphics look bad in person. However, that grip leaves a little to be desired. If they had the camo in lays like in the review they wouldn't be as bad. But, they don't.:confused:

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
There should not be a whole lot different. They are only 10 fps different and all draw force curves are really very similar if you think about it. It is those slight differences that make the draw different from one to another. I was shooting the alphaburner and destroyer the other night then grabbed the maxxis 31 and even though it was set 2 lbs heavier it felt at least 5lbs lighter in weight.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Bought a 340 today and there were no inlays in grip(wish there were). I have a Maxxis 35 as well. I honestly don't think I could tell the difference in draw if I was blindfolded and they had the same grip.:)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
The 340 I shot had the camo wood inlays in the grip.
The DEMO I saw had them. It also had "Built for (dealers name)" engraved on one side.

Bought a 340 today and there were no inlays in grip(wish there were). I have a Maxxis 35 as well. I honestly don't think I could tell the difference in draw if I was blindfolded and they had the same grip.:)
Congrats on the new bow. I figured I'd of heard from my dealer on his 340's coming in by now. :cry: I may have to change that grip though.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The DEMO I saw had them. It also had "Built for (dealers name)" engraved on one side.

Congrats on the new bow. I figured I'd of heard from my dealer on his 340's coming in by now. :cry: I may have to change that grip though.
I don't care for the looks of the grip, but after putting a few dozen arrows through it, I have noticed I can get a good consistant grip with it.:)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The magazine that has them is Petersen's Bowhunting. I do disagree with sneak a little, after you've seen enough force draw curves and you know what your looking for you can easily pick out differences between bows. The important thing to remember is that all the area under the curve represents stored energy. You can tell how agressive a cam system is by noting how steep the curve is at the beginning (rate of weight increase) and how steep it is at the end of the curve (Rate of weight drop off into valley). You can also get an idea of how consistant the draw weight is by looking at how flat the plateau is. All this being stated I can tell you that if you subtracted one inch of draw (6" brace vs. 7") these bows are storing almost precisely the same amount of energy. I can't speak for how good either bow is over-all because I've not shot either of them and I'm sure both have their strengths and weaknesses and both would probably work better for individual archers so I do not pretend to asses what is a better bow based upon this info. I do believe, though, that 10 fps (assuming the 340 draws like the 350 minus one inch of draw) is a huge difference in efficiency when you consider that almost the same amount of energy is being stored. People that say "it's only 10 fps" do not realize that it's free. You, the archer, are putting the same amount of effort into both bows and recieving 10 more fps from one. That is big in strictly engineering terms and very noteworthy.
Also, I tried to scan the articles with no luck.
Sorry.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope these came out ok but they were the only way I could figure out how to post these.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and here's the Maxxis.
ps there's a bald idiot in the background.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here it is

Attachments

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
woops there backwards!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i shot both bows and IMO their draw cycles arent anything alike. I drew a 72lb Destroyer 350 and a 76lb Maxxis. I thought the Destroyer had a very severe drop off. The maxxis on the other hand was by far the smoothest bow i have ever shot...including both destroyers, the hoyt alpha burner, the hoyt carbon matrix, Hoyt alpha max, Z7, Reezen. The Bowtech Admiral was probably the second smoothest bow in my opinion anyway, I realize everyones is different though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts