Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the bowhunter forum, got a couple answers from guys, but need womens insight. My wife is a bitty little thing, about 5'1, and she has been asking for a bow for several years now. I'm hoping to get her one for Christmas this year. Where I live, bow shops are few and far between, and don't have much small stuff. The only one I've seen is the Micro Midas. I'm wondering what draw weight do you think she should start at? She's not weak or anything, but probably not quite as strong as she thinks she is,either:wink: . I want to make sure she has fun, and it's not so difficult for her that she becomes discouraged. She shoots very well with rifle and pistol, and got her first deer last year. Any recommendations you ladies could make, as far as draw weight,bow,accessories etc. would be wonderful, as my knowledge is rather limited. Also, would you recommend a certain type of strengthening exercise she should do that would help her draw? Minimum hunting weight here in Alberta is 40lb, and I'm hoping she can work up to maybe 45lb by next season. All help apreciatted, and sorry for borrowing your forum.

·
Registered
18,691 Posts
No need to be sorry!!! I have a Bowtech Equalizer and love it. I started out shooting 30lbs and quickly moved up to 40. I've been shooting now for almost 3 years and am now able to pull 50lbs. I started out with a PSE Spyder, then shot the Equalizer and there is no comparison. The Equalizer is sooooo much smoother and faster than the PSE. Just my opinion.

Good luck with finding the correct bow for your wife!!!
Dee

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
40 lbs in Arkansas is the legal minimum for hunting and that is what I started out with when I was a kid and had plenty of pass throughs. However, I am 5'6" now and I, for hunting season, try to pull back around 50#. So, 45# would be great for her to shoot, but if she can't get up there a little less would be fine....Get her some light arrows and some 75 grain broadheads and her Kinetic Energy will be fine!! Hope she loves it!!

Carrie

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I would start her out in the low to mid 30's and gradually increase the weight when she can pull it with ease and is comfortable.
I started out trying to pull 45 pounds and it was not fun, finally got some help and backed it down, gradually increasing the weight and now can pull legal hunting weight of 40 easily..
why over do it if you don't have to? No since risking shoulder injury from pulling so hard, especially when just starting out because it takes a while to learn how to properly pull it back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
bow #

I started shooting 3 years ago with a Mathews mustang. I am only 5'3" and 115 lbs. This was a great starter bow. I now shoot a Mathews Switchback XT. My draw length is 25" and I am now pulling 59 lbs. There is also a bow company from here in Wisconsin called Forge bows, my girlfriend started out on one of these, they make a great youth or womans bow called the PLS that has either 30-50 pound limbs with a draw length rang of 21"-26" or 40-65 pound limbs with a draw lenther range of 24"-28" These are aslo price reasonably too. They have a website you should check out www.forgebow.com Hope this helps you out. The more you practice the more pounds you can pull. I shoot at least 3 times a week and not just durring the season all year round. Tracy

Mathews Switchback XT 25" 59lbs.
Custom bow grip by Gripwerks
Custom pink and black bow string
Custom arrow wraps by bowmanhunter on ebay
Carbon Express CXL 2 150's
Muzzy 4 blade broadheads
Ripcord drop away rest
HHA sight

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the replies. I recieved my Browning and PSE catalouges in the mail today, and compared the spyder and Micro Adrenaline. I'll check out these Forge bows too, before any final decision. Also hear that Martin has a new short draw bow out now, and will try to find specs there too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I shoot a Martin Cougar. I really love this bow. My draw length is 27". My friend is shorter about 5'4" and shoots a Tigeress from Martin. She really loves that.

Good Luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm 5'3" and shoot a Golden Eagle Sparrowhawk set at 43#. I've shot 10 deer with it and have had pass throughs. As far as exercise there is something called Bowfit. Go to www.bowfit.com or just google bowfit. It is a band with exercises developed by a physical therapist. They also have a video showing how to do various exercises for men and women to strengthen the muscles used in archery. It can also be used as a warm up before shooting target.

:)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hoyt's Selena

Hoyt makes the Selena which is engineered just for women and is very reasonable priced.

Check out their website at Hoyt.com and good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check out the Salena it is AWESOME. I love mine and reviewed it on the reviews page. Check it out. Also Carbon Express has arrows out for lighter draws and shorter pulls check out the CXL2s they are awesome. I am close to her size. 5'3 and 110 lbs I startes out pulling 35 and quickly jumped to 45 for my first hunting season. I know pull 55 on my new Salena at 23 1/2 inches.

Do check out the reivews page it is helpful!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Exercise

Not real sure about what bow to reccomend, I have a Matthew's Switchback XT (a man's bow *lol*) because I'm 6' tall. But I can tell you what I did to help build muscles before I bought the bow. I got a bungee cord and hooked it to a stick on each end (make sure it's a sturdy stick or someone might get hurt) Hold one stick out like your bow and pull the other one back. This also help keep those muscles conditioned if you can't get out and shoot for some reason. Whatever bow she gets I hope she enjoys it!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I shoot the BowTech Equalizer. And I am s small gal myself. I am 5'3. I really feel it is inportant that you get her to a shop somewhere and get here sized for a bow. Being short does not mean she has short arms. It also does not mean she can not pull much weight. I was doing an event for Diamond Bows a few weeks ago at a Bass Pro Shop and had a 10 year old girl who had never shot before come in with her dad to get a bow. She was a bout 4'11 and was pulling darn hear 40 pounds. I could not believe my eyes. So.......you never know. Plus I am sure she is going to want to be part of the process.:wink: There a handfull of nice bows out there that I am sure will work for her. Just try to get her out to a proshop.

Good luck and let us know what she ends up with

1 - 12 of 12 Posts