Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read here on AT that a bow's draw length will be shorter when set at the maximum poundage than when set at the minimum poundage. I have not measured this to verify but does anyone know about how much difference there would be?
Thanks- Oldstuff

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
This is true for more traditional angle limbed bows but not to the same extent for parallel limb bows.

With a traditional limb angle bow like a Mathews Conquest as you turn the limb bolts out the tips of the limbs move away from the riser and increase the brace height. This increase also turns into extra draw length at full draw.

With a parallel limb design the limb tips don't move away from the riser anyway near as much so the draw length is not effected.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matthews LX

This bow is a Matthews LX (set at maximun poundage) which has a limb angle very similar to a Conquest and I am just a little "scrunched up". Anchor point when shooting the LX always feels like I can't get quite drawn back far enough.
I also have a Rival which of course is a different type of cam but is the "same" draw length according to Matthews specs, however the Rival is set at it's lowest poundage setting and boy does it ever feel better because of being about 5/16 inch longer according to my measurements, it anchors just where I like. I assume because of it being set at the minimum poundage and/or being different cam types.
I can't go to a longer draw cam because I am a 30 incher- long arms. I am not trying to shoot a longer draw that I need, I have had a few sessions with a pro of the past and he says I am a 30 incher.
Any other thoughts?
Oldstuff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts