Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting for seveal years, and have always felt most comfortable with a 28.5" draw off of the string or a 28" with a loop.
But, something's changed either in my body or in my mind (probably my mind)
I currently have a Switchback XT with a 29" draw on it. Some days I pick it up, draw back to my anchor point and it feels great. This seems a little odd since a 29" draw has always felt a little long to me (I am shooting the 29" draw off of the string currently). The past few days that I've been practicing as much as possible for the upcoming season, and I've noticed ANOTHER change in what feels "right".
If I concentrate on my form ( making a T ), the 29" actually feels a tad SHORT for me. I realize you dont always have the room for PERFECT form in a hunting situation, but this is really starting to confuse me.
Part of me says "go to a 29.5" and try it. If it works for you, you'll pick up even more speed."
The other part of me says, " you've shot a 28" or 28.5" for years, your form is just WAY off...dont change."
Another thing that's confusing me is that I'm not super tall. About 5'10". I've never measured my wingspan, just shot a bunch of differnent draw lengths lately to see what felt best
Anyone else had their "comfortable" draw length change over the course the time you've been shooting?????
Thanks for any advice,
Schoolcraft

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I can't really help you. But, I stopped shooting Mathews and any other draw specific bow because of this. I am also left handed and I always found a draw specific bow was very hard for me to sell, either on Ebay or here. Quite simply, if it is draw specific, I walk away.

I would suspect your major problem is in the short A2A of the bow. This changes the string angle and other things. Espeically, if you have a different grip than before.

Now, my wingspan will call for a 29.75" draw. However, with target bows I limit myself to about 28.5 to get the best accuracy. However, on a hunting bow I use a 30" draw. I am shooting a Cougar SE with a 32-3/4" A2A and I use a Anchor Sight and have my anchor adjust for a caliper release off the string with the string still touching my nose.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
SCHOOLCRAFT said:
I've been shooting for seveal years, and have always felt most comfortable with a 28.5" draw off of the string or a 28" with a loop.
But, something's changed either in my body or in my mind (probably my mind)
I currently have a Switchback XT with a 29" draw on it. Some days I pick it up, draw back to my anchor point and it feels great. This seems a little odd since a 29" draw has always felt a little long to me (I am shooting the 29" draw off of the string currently). The past few days that I've been practicing as much as possible for the upcoming season, and I've noticed ANOTHER change in what feels "right".
If I concentrate on my form ( making a T ), the 29" actually feels a tad SHORT for me. I realize you dont always have the room for PERFECT form in a hunting situation, but this is really starting to confuse me.
Part of me says "go to a 29.5" and try it. If it works for you, you'll pick up even more speed."
The other part of me says, " you've shot a 28" or 28.5" for years, your form is just WAY off...dont change."
Another thing that's confusing me is that I'm not super tall. About 5'10". I've never measured my wingspan, just shot a bunch of differnent draw lengths lately to see what felt best
Anyone else had their "comfortable" draw length change over the course the time you've been shooting?????
Thanks for any advice,
Schoolcraft
Since you say you have been working on your form, you have probabaly stumbled into a narrower power triangle like Nuts and Bolts teaches. the narrower the triangle the more your shoulders get lined up with the arrow the longer the draw length needed. PM nuts and bolts he'll expalain it to ya with pictures. it's not a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
how about you start by measuring your wing span. youll need an extra couple of hands to do this. measure from tip of your middle finger to the tip of your other middle finger and divide that number by 2.5 then let us know what ya got. that should be your dl, it is the one that im most comfortable at anywho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts