Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i found it is kind of confuding to do a search on here compared to other sites...no big deal i will learn with time i guess. but i have a question about my draw length. when i first got my PSE TRITON i had it set at 27" dl......that was 5 yrs ago...last year i noticed i wasnt comfortable shooting with it,i felt bunched up,but i dealt with it and told myself i would figure it out after season was over. i ended up injuring my shoulder and hadnt been able to shoot since november(until now). i had mylocal shop put a d-loop on and it helped a little but still feel a bit off. well the other day i went and shot a new hoyt turbohawk set at 27"...it was way to short...felt like i was going to rip the bow out of my hand when i hit the back wall of the draw. so we changed modules to 27.5" and put a d-loop on it...im now shooting at 28" or alittle over and feel comfortable to hold the draw...but now my anchor is just behind my ear and i think if it had a kisser on it that it would be just past the corner of my mouth. my question really is this....should i shoot this length as it feels like i am using my back tension more and my arms less.when i do the draw length calculation it says i should be 27".i am planning on buying this turbohawk and want to make sure i get the right module for it. also when i anchor the string dont touch my nose on either bow....is this a real problem? sorry if this seems like rambling....i just got out of bed and was getting ready for work...lol

· Registered
2,298 Posts
Typical anchor point is near the jaw hinge point, string on tip of nose with your head facing more forward to the target than sideways. An anchor point behind your ear means your DL is too long and could cause PERS (Premature Ear Removal Syndrome). For hunting, a draw length that is too long can cause contact issues if you use heavy clothing, head cover, etc. Look at photos online for proper form and anchor point. John Dudley has a good article that I read recently.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typical anchor point is near the jaw hinge point, string on tip of nose with your head facing more forward to the target than sideways. An anchor point behind your ear means your DL is too long and could cause PERS (Premature Ear Removal Syndrome). For hunting, a draw length that is too long can cause contact issues if you use heavy clothing, head cover, etc. Look at photos online for proper form and anchor point. John Dudley has a good article that I read recently.
ok,that i understand. but when im back down to 27" i am holding the draw with my arms instead of with my back tension. i have figured out this is why i can only shoot a few times then i have to stop. my arms do not go out straight like most peoples do so i dont have to worry about string slap. but should i worry first about my anchors or should i worry more about how comfortable it is to draw and hold. i know im only shooting 55lbs but it gets to be hard to hold long with my arms if im trying to sight in or if im drawn and waiting for the perfect shot on a deer. i dont think i have to worry about my ear being taken off as im not that far behind it,the string is still in fron of it but i just noticed that where i had been anchoring was a little more forward(not saying it was correct) i would like to thank everyone forany comments or suggestions, and i know its hard to tell me the answers if you arent seeing what i am saying so i understand not getting the perfect answer....lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.