Archery Talk Forum banner

Draw Length picture

1454 21
Hey everyone.
In my quest to becme a better archer I have been really trying to work on my mechanics a lot more this year. I finally got out the camera tonight and had the wife take a photo of me at full draw. From what I have been reading here, by the looks of the picture, my draw length is a little on the long side?
I am shooting an 05' Diamond Rapture at 61 lbs with a d loop at 28" draw. Looks to me like I am leaning back right? Any other form issues that you guys can see?
What do you guys think? How much shorter do you think I need to be on my draw length?
Thanks!
Jeremy
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
doesnt look to me that ur draw is a huge problem as far as the pic goes if i had to guess id say u may be a little more comfortable if ur darw was a 1/2 or inch shorter but thats just a guess. see what other replies u get back on that tho i hope this helps.:thumbs_up

· Registered
2,616 Posts
She is a little over 14 months now Zach! Quite the experience for sure. The absolute love of my life!
Great! I bet it is wonderful for you! I can not WAIT until the day I am able to have kids. I have always loved little ones and I am very excited for when that moment comes. Some people feel differently that are my age, but for some reason I know it will be a great experience. :nod:

Make sure to read over that proper grip page I posted, that tightens your groups more than most things do.

How much longer until you get your little one shooting a bow :tongue:

· Registered
24 Posts
draw length?

after looking at your picture,the first thing i would do is tighten the release strap so the strap is on your wrist. not so far up on your hand.that alone will bring up your draw elbow up.rule of thumb is-your draw forearm should be paralell with your arrow when drawn.another rule of thumb, is your draw elbow should be about the same height with your nose.theese are just a few suggestions that i believe will help out greately. i just went threw this very same thing and it really helped. always keep a relaxed bow hand.never grip it.let us know how it goes.

· Registered
4,479 Posts
Im going with all three coments so far.1. grip,but thats really hard to tell from pic.2. tighten strap, Supposed to be like a watch band around wrist not in your palm. 3.Id say an inch shorter, If its easy to get modules for it play around but at least 1/2"

· Banned
3,174 Posts
Take a look at this thread and the comments by N&B. After just a couple days I went from the first pictures to the last one. The release hand and elbow are the first things that need to be addressed, and then you should mess with the DL until you feel comfortable. Hopefully, Nuts&Bolts will see this thread, but if not, you should PM him the pics, let him look them over, and DO EXACTLY WHAT HE SUGGESTS.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=820997

· Registered
179 Posts
Hey everyone.
In my quest to becme a better archer I have been really trying to work on my mechanics a lot more this year. I finally got out the camera tonight and had the wife take a photo of me at full draw. From what I have been reading here, by the looks of the picture, my draw length is a little on the long side?
I am shooting an 05' Diamond Rapture at 61 lbs with a d loop at 28" draw. Looks to me like I am leaning back right? Any other form issues that you guys can see?
What do you guys think? How much shorter do you think I need to be on my draw length?
Thanks!
Jeremy
I might be in left field and by lookingat the picture. I would start by maybe raising the peep to around 6-6.25"above center string loop. That will raise your sight housing to almost center which looks pretty low.
Then put a kisser button about 1.25"-1.50" above center loop. Then take another pic to see what this looks like. JMO
Looks like you are to high with the nock of the arrow which is right by the corner of your lip.
Thats what the kisser is for.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
I might be in left field and by lookingat the picture. I would start by maybe raising the peep to around 6-6.25"above center string loop. That will raise your sight housing to almost center which looks pretty low.
Then put a kisser button about 1.25"-1.50" above center loop. Then take another pic to see what this looks like. JMO
Looks like you are to high with the nock of the arrow which is right by the corner of your lip.
Thats what the kisser is for.
DO NOT put a kisser button on your bow. Some people may like this, but 95% of the people here will tell you the same thing. No kisser... If you are 100% set on using one, then by all means, go for it.

:thumbs_up

· Registered
166 Posts
listen to Zach

I loosened up my grip and it did wonders. Shooting has become a lot more fun, just because I want to see how many X's I can get. I would shorten your dl thought too. It should make things feel more smooth.

· Registered
179 Posts
DO NOT put a kisser button on your bow. Some people may like this, but 95% of the people here will tell you the same thing. No kisser... If you are 100% set on using one, then by all means, go for it.

I personally don't shoot a kisser either but if he wants to get a good consistent shooting form and get good muscle memeries, then a kisser could be needed for a while. Then he could take it off.

· Registered
166 Posts
about kisser?

Hey there my friend. Give me the low down on why you don't like a kisser? I've heard some reasons, but like to know some more. I use one and see know problem. Maybe I am missing something though.

· Unregistered User
1,748 Posts
They call it a wrist strap release for a reason. Tighten that up so it goes around your wrist. It should feel short in your hand, but it will slip down your wrist by the time you get to full draw and will be in the right position. Lower your anchor. Shorten your draw length a half an inch and stand up straight.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Hey there my friend. Give me the low down on why you don't like a kisser? I've heard some reasons, but like to know some more. I use one and see know problem. Maybe I am missing something though.
It is just something personal for me. There is no real problem with other people using them, I just fine no real reason for them, as long as you can establish a solid anchor point without one there is no purpose for them. Consistent anchor points is a must for consistent shooting and consistent groupings, but there are many more things you can do to establish a good anchor point. Such as string on tip of nose, hands consistently touching certain part of your ear, etc etc. There are a lot of methods to do this, that I feel there is no point in having a speed robbing plastic piece on your bow string. So it makes you lose speed, there are other methods of anchor points, and it can get in the way when hunting. If you wear a face mask in the woods, and your only source of establishing a consistent anchor point is a kisser button, how are you supposed to know exactly where to anchor if you can not get a quick, good feel for the kisser button?

These are just some of my reasons, and like I said it is personal. If there is any reason you like them, go for it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and use what they are confident in :thumbs_up

· Registered
166 Posts
opinions are welcome to me

It is just something personal for me. There is no real problem with other people using them, I just fine no real reason for them, as long as you can establish a solid anchor point without one there is no purpose for them. Consistent anchor points is a must for consistent shooting and consistent groupings, but there are many more things you can do to establish a good anchor point. Such as string on tip of nose, hands consistently touching certain part of your ear, etc etc. There are a lot of methods to do this, that I feel there is no point in having a speed robbing plastic piece on your bow string. So it makes you lose speed, there are other methods of anchor points, and it can get in the way when hunting. If you wear a face mask in the woods, and your only source of establishing a consistent anchor point is a kisser button, how are you supposed to know exactly where to anchor if you can not get a quick, good feel for the kisser button?

These are just some of my reasons, and like I said it is personal. If there is any reason you like them, go for it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and use what they are confident in :thumbs_up
Got no problem with your opinion. Just trying to learn. What you say does make a lot of sense. With my slow brain, I know it would take for ever for me to get use to not using a kisser. So maybe KC should listen to you and not put one on from the start, but only if he is like me.

· Registered
230 Posts
If you look at your right elbow, your right wrist and your left hand where it contacts the bow handle they should form a straight line. Your right elbow is below your right wrist. shorten your draw length untill when a picture is taken you can draw a straight line from elbow thru the wrist to the meat of the left hand on the bow. Then your draw length is close to where it should be. There are some good photos right here on this forum, Go to "General Archery Information" and the thread One more..."How's my form"...by Nuts&Bolts and check out the pictures, I can't post links, I don't have enough posts.
I corrected my draw length to match this, and my shooting improved dramatically, if the you get all the angles worked out, the tension in your body at full draw equalizes and the bow stops moving, you hold on target and your scores/groups will improve. Draw weight, mass weight, hold weight and draw lenght are all very important, when you get it all balanced the battle is over. Except for getting the kitchen pass from the little woman to go practice for a couple of hours everyday. :angry1:

· Registered
1,880 Posts
The draw length is atleast 1 inch to long sorry.The release wrist is bent and the release elbow is well below the arrow line not to mention the string is in your face quite a bit and you are leaning a tad this is all due to the draw length being to long.The kisser button is a great idea to get your form in better shape later after you have devloped better form you can take it off if you wish but 1 of the best shooters in the world usses a kisser button sorry cannot remeber his name.I do not use a kisser but did at 1 time and it aided me in having better form I feel.The string should touch the tip of your nose then the corner of your mouth or their abouts were the nock meets the arrow should be inline with the center of your eye and the index finger knuckel should be infront of your ear just behind the jawbone.If you try to do this with the drawlength as it is I think you will find the bow is to long for you.Hope this helps

· Registered
8,034 Posts
There is nothing wrong with kisser buttons if they are used correctly.

Just take a look at Reo Wilde's bow!! They can help!! :teeth:

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK so the general concensus seems to be that my draw length looks to be 1" too long which I was pretty sure was the case. Also looks like I need to tighten up the strap on my release. My release arm is too low which if I understand is a product of my draw length being too long. Sound about right? I am pretty sure my grip is correct or close as that is something I have been working on for a while now. Is kinda hard to see my grip in this picture. Great info guys keep it coming!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.