Archery Talk Forum banner

Draw Length Q?

578 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Deezlin
I purchased my Sswitchback in 29.5 inch draw. It is fine for regular shooting, I have had great luck with accuracy with it.

I noticied when bowhunting however - the draw seems a wee bit too long and I would like to shorten it.

I originally contemplated swapping in a 28.5 cam, but am wondering if a 29 incher would matter. How much difference is a half inch in regards to cams and draw length?

Here is a PIC at full draw currently

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
23,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't tempt me JB - I have thought of it! I want the only MO Forest Floor Switchback!

Anyways - the release is a Primos/Fletcher 44 Caliper head that I put on a Cobra Green Mamba buckle wrist strap.

The loop is short, but can be shorter.

Happy Thanksgiving Brother!

· Registered
60 Posts
draw lenght

looking at photo it looks like you are about an inch back from corner of mouth, I would go with 29 and if you need the extrahalf in make your loop longer. how is the hunying in southern zone I am from st lawerence co season is almost over here

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
Draw length vs D-loop length vs Wrist Release to Trigger

NYBowhunter911 said:
Anyone????

28.5 or 29???:cry:
NYBowhunter:

If the dl feels good and you are happy with how you shoot, then don't change anything. If you want to experiment and see if you can improve you accuracy, then I have several suggestions.

In the picture you posted, I notice that you have more weight on the rear foot because you are leaning backwards slightly to make yourself fit the bow rather than the other way around.

If you shorten the length of the D-loop, your draw elbow will come up a little higher and you will feel the back muscles come into play more.

I would close the eyes during the draw cycle, come to full draw and anchor with the eyes closed, weight even on both feet, stand tall and head up turned towards the target, and then open the eyes. This is the preferred way to check for peep sight elevation. I think your peep sight should be adjusted.

After you have shortened the D-loop as much as you feel comfortable, you can also try shortening the wrist release-to-trigger length.

This will make the bow feel shorter.

The string touches your face behind the corner of your mouth. A shorter drawlength will change you face anchor (cross the corner of your mouth), and change the distance from your eye to the peep sight. Realistically, the distance from your eye to the peep sight will be close to the same, but the shorter drawlength will allow you to stand up straight, instead of leaning backward.

· Registered
23,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! Thanks - Thats what I'm talking about.

As far as to why I would like to shorten; I noticed that when BOWHUNTING, it seems that I am drawing back to far and is uncomfortable. I think a shorter length would help that.

I can try both 28.5 and 29 if needed.

· Registered
571 Posts
bro,

I suggest you to go down to 28.5" or even 28". Your drawlength is far too long! Plus with a caliper type of release,it will add up more to the drawlength. If you really consider using this drawlength, then switch to a hand held release aid so that you get a firmer anchor on your jawbone and better execution of the shot. A drawlength too short is still always better than a drawlength that is too long. Happy shooting!

· Registered
13,177 Posts
I agree that things look way too long and the above comments are on 'target' (pun intended)
Where you will really notice the too long of a draw length is outdoors on uphill and downhill targets...be they either 3-D or field....you will have fits with them if your drawlength is too long.

You are off balance and out of position with your hips, your head, and your shoulders....in addition, you really don't have a SOLID anchor because you are so far back trying to fit yourself to the bow.

I would consider even 28 1/2", but I think that 28 COULD be too short for you. the bow arm position looks pretty good, and shooting with a grossly bent elbow, while some may think it "looks cool" is a huge liability with consistency and bone on bone alignmnet for rock solid shooting. You CANNOT duplicate the amount of bend in a really bent elbow. SLIGHTLY unlocked is just fine, but some of this 45 degree bending that suddenly has become 'the look' isn't good form and creates more problems that it ever solves.

field14:tongue: :cool: :rolleyes: :teeth: :confused:

· Registered
15,839 Posts
I agree with Field. The loop is too long and your anchor is too far back. I use to shoot Mathews and you have just discovered the reason I stopped. As a matter of fact, it will be a cold day, before I ever buy another bow without modular adjustement. I am left handed. They are too hard to find and too hard to sell.

I would definitely go to the 28.5 and decrease the loop length.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.