Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joint Comfort Gesture Wood Flash photography

I’m looking for any input I can get. I just got a new bow and I’m trying to get the draw length right. I’ve also just recently started using a thumb release. It’s so foreign to me but I honestly group tighter. I’m going to include a picture of me at full draw. I’m not really sure where I should anchor with this release. It feels comfortable. I haven’t installed a peep site yet. I’m trying to get comfortable with my anchor point and drawl length. I have always shot a kisser button an index style release in the past for about eight years.How does it look? I have always shot around 29” but I’m totally new to the thumb style release. I honestly feel like I am a little cramped up and trying to stretch my bow arm a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to push my elbow out more and aim shoulder height best I could. If I am going to set up my kisser button and peep site, do I get in this comfortable position and put the kisser button where it falls with my eyes closed? Then, open my eyes and adjust my peep to where my eye is at in that position?
Smile Sleeve Standing Gesture Wood
Smile Sleeve Gesture Wood Beard

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks KB. I have about 150 shots on this new bow. I’m going to try to get my Peepsight installed and adjusted tomorrow evening after work. Maybe a kisser button? if I don’t have to much trouble. Very new to using my bow press and installing components.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little nervous but more excited. I will definitely keep you posted. Thanks so much for your input. My buddy I hunt with keeps telling me to take it to the shop and get it setup just right. I don’t have any problems with that but I would like to learn the process myself. He has recently started calling me TINKER 😑

·
(aka lug nut)
54,809 Posts
Do I need to lengthen my draw a touch, or just straitened my left arm a fuzz? I was trying to get a pick just holding level, but I was pointing downhill more than I thought.
Put a level strip of masking tape on the wall behind you, ABOVE shoulder height.
Then, when you THINK you have the arrow level, look at your photo.
If arrow is downhill again, then, redo photo again, with bow hand higher.

If arrow is still pointing downhill,
then, lift the bow hand even HIGHER, until your photographer says the arrow is parallel to the LEVEL strip of masking tape on the wall behind you.

GOTO ZERO bend in the bow arm, for next photo. Like this.

·
(aka lug nut)
54,809 Posts
I tried to push my elbow out more and aim shoulder height best I could. If I am going to set up my kisser button and peep site, do I get in this comfortable position and put the kisser button where it falls with my eyes closed? Then, open my eyes and adjust my peep to where my eye is at in that position? View attachment 7674953 View attachment 7674954
MORE knuckles rotation. Get knuckles to 45 degrees, so LESS thumb muscle oozes past the right edge of the grip.

Like this.

Get the knuckles, get the wrist rotated MORE and MORE clockwise,
so your wrist looks flat. IF wearing a watch on the left wrist, watch face should be flat like a table.

Sideways miss pattern shrinks, when you rotate the wrist (left side) more clockwise.

·
(aka lug nut)
54,809 Posts
I tried to push my elbow out more and aim shoulder height best I could. If I am going to set up my kisser button and peep site, do I get in this comfortable position and put the kisser button where it falls with my eyes closed? Then, open my eyes and adjust my peep to where my eye is at in that position? View attachment 7674953 View attachment 7674954
This is BAD. THIS is not how you draw a compound bow.
Leaning forwards, RIGHT shoulder SKY HIGH and left shoulder WAY out of level,
is NOT how you draw back a bow.

Gesture Wood Art Flooring Hardwood

Learn how to LEVEL draw a bow, like Dudley.

·
Super user
2,381 Posts
Same draw.
Kill the bend in the left elbow.
Lean WAY more forwards.

Will hold MORE steady if you copy the doctored full draw posture, for THAT particular downhill arrow pointing angle.

View attachment 7674922
Absolutely keep the slightly bent elbow. Do not stress it by locking it straight out. You are more relaxed with the elbow with a slight break in it. I would also say lean the ever so slightest back in the torso area, and you will be about as perfect as you can get.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

·
(aka lug nut)
54,809 Posts
Absolutely keep the slightly bent elbow. Do not stress it by locking it straight out. You are more relaxed with the elbow with a slight break in it. I would also say lean the ever so slightest back in the torso area, and you will be about as perfect as you can get.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Slight bend.
Sorta bend.
Little bend.
Small bend.

If you can bust nocks at 20 yards, then, do that.

Been helping a fella via pm (private message). Had him shorten his draw length 1/8th inch, YES, 0.125 inches.
Also had him shorten his d-loop 1/16th inch. Nope, draw length on the bow and d-loop length tweaks do different things.

So, was his left elbow slightly bent? sorta bent? little bent? small bent? was he leaning ever so slightly backwards?

I tweaked his draw 1/8th shorter to KILL the slight backwards leaning.
I shortened his d-loop 1/16th inch to LIFT the release elbow higher.

HERE are his NEW results at 20 yards. Fired the fletched arrow FIRST. Then, fired bareshaft second.
Bareshaft arrow BUSTED the fletched arrow nock.

So, if you can do this with a slight bend in the left elbow, sorta bent in the left elbow AND while leaning backwards ever so slightly....then by all means DO IT.

For this fella, I killed the slight, ever so slight leaning backwards by thickening the grip 1/8th inch,
which cuts the brace 1/8th inch shorter and cuts the draw 1/8th inch SHORTER...u know, to KILL that ever so slight leaning backwards.

I also shortened his d-loop 1/16th inch, to LIFT the right elbow up EVER so slightly higher
to increase the angle (downhill) from elbow to wrist on the release side,
to increase leverage angle for his back muscles.

But, as always,
do whatever u need to do, so you can BUST nocks at 20 yards. NOW you is TUNED.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts