Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a trad bow with zero experience and no real option to try a few first. My compound is set at 28.5, confirmed by BowExperts when they were tuning my bow, and I shoot a D loop. How does this roughly translate into trad draw length with no release, D loop, etc...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Trad draw legnths tend to be a bit shorter. I shot a 28.5" DL on my compounds and I shoot a 28" DL now.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Here is how to measure your draw length with a traditional bow.

www.bowmaker.net

Most bows draw weight is measured at 28" unless marked otherwise. The amount of force applied to your arrow that is going to make it bend is determined by the draw weight of the bow at your draw length. To measure your draw length, draw the bow and have someone mark the arrow on the back side (the side away from you) of the bow or clip a clothes pin on the shaft and slide it down the shaft till you reach full draw, then measure from the throat of the nock to that point. This is your draw length. Beware! AMO draw length is measured to the low point of the grip plus 1.75" to account for variations in riser thickness but measuring to the back will get within a 1/2" or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts