Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to speed bows. I have been shooting a bowtech allegiance for years. It's 60lbs and i can draw it back very easily. I have shot my friend's bows a bowtech carbon knight and a hoyt nitrum both at 70lbs and pulled them back relatively easily.

When i tried to draw back on a 70lb Defcon M6 I couldnt even come close. I ended up turning it down to 64lbs and was able to get it back but it was still a struggle. Is the draw cycle on speed bows really that different? I keep hearing Obsessions have smooth draws but I had a hard time. I ended up ordering a 65lb Defcon M6 and am sure I will get used to it but was just wondering if anyone can chime in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's shocking to me. I shoot all my bows at 70# and they are super smooth. Just shot the M6 the other day at 65# and it felt like I was drawing back a 55# bow. I ordered a 70#. To me there is no smoother drawing bow than an Obsession

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Seems shocking to me as well. I've had many customers bump up in draw weight on the 2016's because of how easy they were to draw compared to their old bows.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been shooting a 60lb hoyt crx 32 for the last year, and a 65lb alphamax 32 the two years before that. I tried a dc6 70lb the day after cutting/splitting (by hand) and stacking a truck and trailer load of heavy green Red Maple. Major back and arm soreness, and i didnt feel bad at all drawing that bow. Really surprised me and that was one reason i got it, knowing if i was layered up in a treestand that the draw would be similar to that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If the bow you drew back was a much longer draw length than you need that may have made it feel heavier?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No because it was real stiff up front. Once he turned the weight down i drew back and took 2 shots and dl wasn't a problem.

I'm thinking he gave me an 80lb bow. Only thing I can think of if you guys are all saying its that smooth of a draw.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am new to the whole bow thing but i shot a Bowtech at 70 lbs and then purchased a Phoenix from the classifieds here, without shooting an Obsession, due to the reviews of the draw. The Phoenix does not feel at all like 70 lbs. The only issue I have had is the I am left eye dominant but right handed. I jumped right in and shot 100 + arrows the first week shooting and felt it for a couple of days. Backed it off and working on my stamina and will increase the weight progressively until I can comfortably shoot quantity at 70. Even now, 2 dozen shots or so, 70 does not feel like 70.

·
Registered
803 Posts
A big part of it can also be where in the draw cycle the bow hits it's peak weight. Also how long it stays near peak weight on the draw. Obsessions seem to hit their peak weight earlier than alot of bows, and holds it a bit longer. Still VERY smooth, just stiffer than alot of guys are used to, as they are pulling more weight longer. Once you get the muscles built up and used to it, they are the smoothest drawing bow you've ever shot.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Im looking forward to getting mine. After 2 shots i had to have one. Nicest shooting bow ive ever seen

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
All the obsession I have shot are very what i would call "consistent". They like all binaries stack early but the obsessions are very smooth throughout the cycle

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
With having a bad back I usually dont shoot 60# anymore, I traded my X7 (which I liked alot) for a M6 and am shooting it easily at 60#, so that says alot about the draw. I like others was blown away how smooth, easy drawing, fast, quiet, dead, etc. etc it is.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is off the original topic but does anyone have a deadcenter archery stabilizer on their Defcon M6? I want one in Kryptek Typhon but am not sure the length I should get or if I should get it in carbon or aluminum?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have used an 8 in on my evolution in the aluminum and an 8 in for my xcentric in aluminum and it has worked fine. I have one in that exact color on my M6 that is at the dealer right now. I don't have any first hand experience with the carbon ones so I cannot say directly but I can't see paying the extra money for the carbon when the aluminum works fine for me.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
I know this is off the original topic but does anyone have a deadcenter archery stabilizer on their Defcon M6? I want one in Kryptek Typhon but am not sure the length I should get or if I should get it in carbon or aluminum?
I havent finished setting my bow up but right now I have a carbon 6" on the front only and it balances good. I will experiment more once it is all set up with my back stab.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I havent finished setting my bow up but right now I have a carbon 6" on the front only and it balances good. I will experiment more once it is all set up with my back stab.
That looks real nice. Let me know how it is with your back stab. No one has these in stock near me so I just have to order it online.

I'm still waiting for my bow to come in, maybe 2 more weeks but i've been purchasing the accessories. So far I have an Accutouch Carbon Pro X41, QAD HDX rest, and custom wrist sling from hillside.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That looks real nice. Let me know how it is with your back stab. No one has these in stock near me so I just have to order it online.

I'm still waiting for my bow to come in, maybe 2 more weeks but i've been purchasing the accessories. So far I have an Accutouch Carbon Pro X41, QAD HDX rest, and custom wrist sling from hillside.
6" carbon on my M7. Balances great. The Typhon matches perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Todd from Dead Center told me that the 6 and 8 inch carbon are both good choices for the Defcons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts