Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you lower your draw weight on a bow, does it increase the draw length.
Figuring that since it takes pressure off the bowstring, it would be the same as taking twists out.

·
Registered
697 Posts
no change to DL

Changing pressure is different than changing length, the strings take the same amount of slack out of the ATA. The only way the DL changes for DW changes is in the amount of stretch in the string. I imagine once they have been prestretched to 300 or so pounds (during serving) , there will be little or no change in length from 50 to 60 to 70 lbs.

When you untwist strings you change the length and yes the pressure changes but not by much.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
It DOES make the DL longer on some bows. I've measured and checked before. Take a XT2000 ProTec, for instance. I've had it one of mine at 28" EXACTLY, as measured on a draw board, with the limb bolts maxed, but backed off 10# it measured 28 1/2". I've seen as much as 5/8" on some bows backed off 10#.

But it's not pressure on the string, it's because of changing the angle of the limbs and the BH getting longer plus the ATA getting shorter. Upright limbed bows grow the most, parallel limbed bows grow very little.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
+1 what Buster said. If only taking a turn or two off, then probably small enough difference it'll hardly be noticed. But from what I've heard taking the bow down towards the extreme minimum end of the adjustment range can really have an impact.

>>------>

·
Registered
939 Posts
+2 on what Buster said. I just checked a Norb Mullaney bow report in Bowhunting World on a LimbSaver DZ-32 and the draw length was reported as30 3/16 at 70 lbs. and 30 3/8 at 60 lbs. Usually these tests are performed at 60 lbs. only, so I don't know if this holds true for all bows. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts