Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm sure most of you are going to say "whatever's comfortable", but here's the situation. I'm planning to buy my son a Mission Craze for Christmas. It's quite adjustable, both draw length and weight. I can adjust it if I need to, but I want to have it setup pretty dang close to what he needs, so he can go out back and shoot it Christmas morning. The problem is, that I need to buy arrows, so I need to know what his draw weight is, or close to it. So for those of you that have a 12 or 13 year old shooting a bow, how much are they pulling back? I don't want to give him any clues that I'm getting him one, so I can't take him to the archery shop. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well one of my boys is 10, he is shooting 24lbs. I'd say start him off light on the weight so he doesn't struggle any at all with aiming. So probably 25-27lbs. Would be my opinion. Another thing to think about is the mass weight of the bow don't get one too heavy, I think the Craze is around 3.6lbs. I wouldn't go any heavier. My son shoots a Hoyt Ruckus that weights 3lbs., but your boy being 12yrs old shouldn't be a problem. Have fun!!

·
Registered
17,400 Posts
get heavier spined arrows and cut them long for now, if he gets the dw up you can cut them down and keep using them!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2 boys 7 and 9 yrs old use Diamond Infinite Edge . My 7 is pulling about 12 to 14 lbs but he is a little guy. My 9 is pulling 25 lbs only because it's easier to hold on target for target shooting.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2 boys 7 and 9 yrs old use Diamond Infinite Edge . My 7 is pulling about 12 to 14 lbs but he is a little guy. My 9 is pulling 25 lbs only because it's easier to hold on target for target shooting.
My son is a little bigger than most boys his age (12).. I'm thinking I should be safe with 30#'s... would you agree?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My 10 yr old is shooting 31# for hunting and has no issues...however, his muscles have developed for shooting because of shooting for years. He could pull more, but I don't want him getting injured, and I want him to shoot comfortably, and quite honestly you don't need more poundage to kill a deer within 20yds. My 9yr old daughter shoots 25#'s and pulls it super easy so I will be forced to get her a bigger bow at 10yrs old since WI has a 30# minimum for hunting.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would start him at 30-40lbs

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 9 yr old is built like a brick [email protected]# house and can pull more than he does. It just comes down to endurance. He can pull 30 lbs 10 time or he pulls 25 lbs for a whole target shoot. I would start with 25 lbs and see where he go's, it's just a turn of a wrench to change. Trucker

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am 14(just turned) I am 5 foot 2 and 105 lbs I think my draw# is around 30 to 40 I think my dl is 26 in and I would start him as light as possible or close to it and slowly work up. the bow I have is the mission craze

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
My 8 year old daughter shoots 26lbs on her Ruckus. She pulls it easily but is a big kid. Her draw length is 23". She has been shooting since she was 3.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My son is 13 and BIG for his age 5'7, 200lbs he's shooting 55# on his Insanity.

But he can pull my Insanity @ 62# and my Elite Answer and Pulse @ 65#

The boy is just flat out strong

1 - 20 of 50 Posts