Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,616 Posts
People are effective in taking elk with a recurve and longbow. Your compound produces more KE than a recurve or longbow.

I don’t know what the minimum draw weight requirement is where you are hunting, but if you build a well balanced arrow you will be fine.

Trad hunters try to build an arrow that is close to 10 grains per pound of draw weight, in my case my recurve hunting arrows are around 11 grains oer pound of draw weight.

With a compound this may not be necessary or even achievable, without building an Lincoln Log, that doesn’t get you the range and trajectory you need.

The easy way around this is to shoot a heavier arrow than a standard carbon. An aluminum arrow or a FMJ is heavier per inch than a standard carbon.

Leaving your arrow a little longer also bumps up your arrow weight. Your tune and sight pins will change, but the increased weight will assist with penetration.

I am not talking about some crazy Ranch Faiiry Lincoln Log here either, just heavier than your WT arrow.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
A standard 29 in 340 spine carbon with a 100 grain head weighs just under 430 grains.

A standard 29 in 2219 aluminum, same spine as a 340 carbon with a 100 grain head weighs 560.20 grains.

· Registered
4,093 Posts
My normal setup for whitetails is 60# @ 28.5” with FMJ’s that weigh 440 grains. I use this for all my hunting from what you mentioned, elk and black bear, to African animals the largest a 1200# Eland.

· Registered
23 Posts
Depending on what your max distance is, 50 lbs is adequate for both species. However, I would say pull as much weight as you can safely and accurately.

Elk are tough animals but if you have razor sharp broadheads and are accurate, 50 lbs is more than enough.

Black bears have notoriously thin skin so whatever you choose for your elk setup will be plenty for bears.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Depending on what your max distance is, 50 lbs is adequate for both species. However, I would say pull as much weight as you can safely and accurately.

Elk are tough animals but if you have razor sharp broadheads and are accurate, 50 lbs is more than enough.

Black bears have notoriously thin skin so whatever you choose for your elk setup will be plenty for bears.
I will add that black bears, at least the ones I have shot haven't left the best blood trail, as the entry and exit hole can get plugged up with fat. This is more prevalent when hunting fall bears, because they are heavier. Spring bears are skinny from hibernation and it isn’t as big of a problem. Fall or Spring, bears are still way fatter than an elk. So when I draw a Bear tag a two inch cut mechanical or a three blade fixed head is what I use because they leave a big hole.

· Registered
Bowtech SR6x3, Qad, Victory SS, Black Gold Sight
1,395 Posts
I will add that black bears, at least the ones I have shot haven't left the best blood trail, as the entry and exit hole can get plugged up with fat. This is more prevalent when hunting fall bears, because they are heavier. Spring bears are skinny from hibernation and it isn’t as big of a problem. Fall or Spring, bears are still way fatter than an elk. So when I draw a Bear tag a two inch cut mechanical or a three blade fixed head is what I use because they leave a big hole.
The bear hunters I know use a 2 inch mechanical broadhead and they love the double lung shot before a heart shot.
They say the drop the fastest that way.
Might be something you want to look into also.

· Registered
8,147 Posts
My white tail set up is the same as my elk set up, mule deer set up. It's my everything set up. In the end, Its all about shot placement

Reactions: roosiebull

· Registered
Mathews VXR 28
25 Posts
Im running 72 pound draw with a 430 grain arrow... I use mechanicals for everything except elk then I switch to a fixed blade. It's all about shot placement though, I've seen kids smoke deer and hogs with a 45 pound draw and a 75 grain muzzy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts