Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
redman
8,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What draw weight does most of the senior draw for outdoor and indoor spots. Nfaa . Thanks for info

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,472 Posts
I haven't shot anything over 50# in quite some time. Today's bow and arrow combinations generate quite enough speed at lower poundage to shoot just about any venue.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,809 Posts
NFAA and Senior. That's them young geezers, I think ;)

Up to I was 60 I used 57 to 62 pounds for everything and did okay. From 2010 to date I use 55 pounds. 66 and coming up on 67 the bow I've ordered for this year is to max out at 50 pounds. I've got arrows that will give decent speed for ASA events and the new bow has enough draw weight range I go dip as low as 40 or so pounds.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm perennially stuck at the 32 to 35# mark, though my bows go up to a max of 40# which is probably the highest I'll go in this life. Indoors I'm shooting #32 but I'm not competitive this year and am not too worried about my score right now. I'm keeping them in the gold tho. I'll be shooting 35# outdoors this year...
I'm shooting BHFS this year but may go to freestyle next year depending on how I do this year. But I think my poundages will still remain under 40# for a while yet.

DM

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I shoot around 40# or a little less for indoor games and bring it up to 45# for NFAA field. I have no difficulty getting the distance or trajectory I'm looking for if I build my arrows correctly.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I should have noted that I don't have any physical limitations, age 56.
Same here but 57.

I shoot around 60-62#peak for everything. Just my experience, I haven't found that peak draw weight is incredibly relevant. It has little to do with the actual "shot." Again, my experience only.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Agree with the others. Even at a measly 40# my PSE is scary, especially with my GT ultralights and ACEs for outdoors. 50 meters is hardly any problem even at 30#, though I start to have a disadvantage in the wind. Very light holding weight at 75% letoff is maybe a little bit of a disadvantage also (but that's fixable with a higher letoff). Otherwise, I see no reason to smash my upper body up with 50# + shoulder-crusher bows... It makes no sense to me at all. For hunting maybe that'd be a different story, but for killing paper, I don't see it :)

DM

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
After two shoulder surgeries, I go no higher than 45#. At that weight, I don't have any problems getting the range I need. Right now I am shooting 40# for indoor.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
At 65, I just went from 55# to 42#. It's a lot more fun shooting the lighter DW and I'm scoring better.

·
I'll be your huckleberry
2,183 Posts
I get to shoot Seniors division next year. Cant Wait. If I can stay in the mid to high 50x count BHFS I think I can get a cup.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
56-59# for both indoor and outdoor

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
52 years old and shoot 57-58 for both, I agree with Laz that peak weight has very little to do with anything, to me its all about finding a holding weight that aims the best and works with your shot. That said (and I'm sure you will all think I'm nuts now) I set my bows up to hold 22-23lbs when I drop below 20# my aim is all over the target.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Soooo glad I read this thread. I bought my first bow in 20 yrs about three weeks ago. I'm 66 and only 155 lbs. It was a 60# bow set at about 42#. It was all I could do to shoot 12 arrows. My old male ego was taking a lick. I swallowed my pride and had it set at 40# and all's good. Shooting 24-30 arrows now no problem. Hard to believe 2# would make that much difference. Maybe those previously unused muscles are getting a little stronger too.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Hard to believe 2# would make that much difference. Maybe those previously unused muscles are getting a little stronger too.
Just starting back after a 20 year break, it was a combination of DW and HW that were making it difficult for you. When you dropped the DW 2#, you may have dropped the holding weight 3-4# which is what provided a more stable foundation for you. You should slowly work on building your strength back up to manage higher holding weights.

Same will be true if/when you start to add stabilizer weights to your new rig....

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
63 yo, and I only know that mine is going down some. Rounded up a nice 50 lb Podium tonight, but still taking it on faith that I will be able to shoot it around 46-48 pounds (with as much holding weight as cam and strings will allow) for both indoor and outdoor after my bow shoulder heals (cuff and 2 gnormous spurs). My 60 lb bows are going on the block and probably won't return for the duration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts