Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a stuped questions. Here goes - When archers say that their bow is maxed out or their limbs bolts are cranked down, does this mean that they actually turn the limb bolts down until the limbs touch the pockets? Or are they actualy saying that their bow is set at the Manufacturers peak draw weight for their bow?

Asking because, I want to get all the draw weight that I can out of my Cheetah. According to Martin's specs, my Cheetah has limbs (1H) which peak at 53lbs. Also that one complete turn will give 3lbs of adjustment. I have the bow currently set at 50lbs and I can see that there is room between the limb and the pockets. Is it ok to turn the limb bolts down until the limbs touch the pockets? ATA and brace is currently set at required specs, but Im thinking this might give me more than 53lbs in draw weight. Or should I turn them down only until I start pulling 53lbs?

· Registered
755 Posts
I never crank the limb all the way down
I will usually crank it down and then back it off a half turn.

· Registered
3,974 Posts
Maxed

I have shot all my bows for the last 10 years or more turned down tight. Anywhere from 80# years ago to 60# now.
At one time it was believed to be harmful to tighten the limbs down tight but with the advent of these newer glues and the use of solid glass instead of laminated limbs I don't think it hurts a thing and may even make the bow a little quieter.
It is a known fact that a bow shoots better at Max weight than at some reduced weight.
Charlie

· Registered
3,609 Posts
I have shot all my bows for the last 10 years or more turned down tight. Anywhere from 80# years ago to 60# now.
At one time it was believed to be harmful to tighten the limbs down tight but with the advent of these newer glues and the use of solid glass instead of laminated limbs I don't think it hurts a thing and may even make the bow a little quieter.
It is a known fact that a bow shoots better at Max weight than at some reduced weight.
Charlie
It's a good thing it is a known fact..............it must be true.:tongue:

In my world, i find my bows to shoot the best anywhere from 1/2 to 1 turn down from max. But then again, I'm one of those guy's that bare shaft tune with a release...............it's another known fact that bare shaft tuning is for finger shooters:tongue:

Seriously...............where a bow will shoot it's best, depends on what arrow/tip combinations your are using. Change the arrow and you have to retune the bow to match the arrow..............tuning the bow to the arrow involves adjusting the bow weight to match the spine of the arrow. If you shoot a bare shaft at long distances you'll see what changing the bow weight will do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.