Archery Talk Forum banner

Draw weight question for the ladies

638 6
I'm trying to get my wife into shooting. She seems interested, (but always has a reason not to start). I have an old PSE Nova that I bought of my girls and she has drawn it, but never shot it. It's set at 40# and she doesn't appear to labor too much drawing it. But, I've been looking at a newer bow for her (hoping it will spark an interest), and it seem like there is a much better selection of 40-50 that anything else. My question is, when you started shooting, how long did it take for you to get comfortable with your initial draw weight? Or, how long did it take for you to feel like you could increase your weight? Basicallt, would it be wise for me to buy a 40-50?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
I just bought my first bow. A browning micro Adren hx. Mine is a 40-50. I've not been shooting long and started shooting at 40 and am working my way up. The most important thing is to be comfortable for awhile with the bow, just to get the feel of it. You use muscles that you never even knew you had! or at least I am!!!! If she can pull back 40 and seem comfortable with it, I'd definately go with 40-50 # bow. It would suck to go with a 30-40 # one, and then her not being able to pull back as much weight as she desires. But, that being said, for some women pulling 40 # is alot and she definatetly doesn't want to be pulling back more than she can handle! Good luck!!! =D

· Registered
30,683 Posts
Have her test out a few different bows. The draw cycles may be very different than what she has now. Also, a lot of bows will go about 5 pounds lighter than what its listed as. I have a 60# Reflex bow that they were able to crank down to 45# for me at first. Then I was able to adjust it as I gained strength. How much it will adjust will vary by bow.

But you really don't want her straining to draw it. That will create some bad habits and a potential for injury. The best thing you can do is get her out to try a few. Let her see how they feel.

Another option is to look at a bow that has a wider range for draw weights. There are a few out there, like the Diamond Razor Edge. They will give her some room to grow.

· Registered
358 Posts
Shoot as many as she can

I would recommend over draw weight you get a bow that she likes to shoot. Each bow feels different to different people, and the challenge we girls have is finding multiple bows in one place that we can draw back. That's where our company, Shoot Like A Girl can help, come by our Shoot Like A Girl Test Flight booth at the NFAA Indoor Nationals at Louisville, KY on 14 and 15 March 2009! She can test fire as many of the following bows as you want to:
The Admiral from BowTech (left and right hand)
The IceMan from Diamond by BowTech
The Rock from BowTech
The AlphaMax from Hoyt
The Kobalt from Hoyt
The Ignition from Mathews (and hopefully we’ll have a Hyperlite too)
The Leopard from Martin
The Sienna from Alpine Archery
The DeadZone 30 by Limbsaver
Recurve Bows from Lancaster Archery Supply (right and left hand)

To answer your quesion about draw weight, I personally started with 40lb limbs, but then upgraded about a year later to 50lb limbs, and now I plan on getting 60lb limbs for my hunting bow. Good luck, and happy shooting!

· Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunately, like a lot of you, we live in an area where shooting a lot of #40 bows is tough. I think we will start out by going out and letting her hold a few of the heavier draw bows to see what she likes...then I'll have to see about finding one in the right draw weight.

· Registered
463 Posts
Bucket

If you are looking at a new bow for her look at the Diamond razor edge. It is very draw length adjustable. 20-60 lbs on one set of limbs. The bow is quick and accurate, many woment just starting out are using it.

Good luck, if you have a club near by try to get her out there to meet some of her fellow lady archers.

Miss Pink

· Registered
147 Posts
Mine is at 45 and I just started, but just messing with it everyday, I have gotten comfortable with the draw weight quickly. It didn't take long before what seemed like a hard pull was a lot easier for me to pull back. That may be okay for her, That is exactly what Sean started me off on. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.