Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bone Collector
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting 60 lbs. Is that what a 165 lb., 70in., 14 yr. old should be drawing.

Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ya sound like a strong kid. if you can sit down on a kitchen chair and draw back your bow with ease, then it should be OK.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats more than i would expect for a 14 yr old. There really is no standard for draw weight. Shoot what you can comfortably shoot

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Sit in a chair, lift your feet off the ground, nock an arrow, aim at the target.

Did you do this smoothly, without contorting, skying the bow, torqueing, or shaking? If the answer is yes then carry on;), if the answer is no then adjust DW to 50# and try again. :teeth:

·
Bone Collector
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm almost 30 and I shoot a 60lb bow. I bought it while all my friends were shooting 70lbs. But, I wasn't comfortable pulling over 60lbs with my first bow so that's what I got. Like everyone said, if you can pull it without struggling then go with it don't base it on anyone else.

·
edthearcher
6,456 Posts
I'm shooting 60 lbs. Is that what a 165 lb., 70in., 14 yr. old should be drawing.

Thanks
come on now, you draw and hold what seems comfortable to you, if you can pull it straight back and anchor go for it, with out pointing your bow at 45 degrees in the air to pull it back. a better test sit in a chair draw bow back as if to shoot it if you can do this your good to go. if not back it off

·
Registered
788 Posts
Whatever is comfortable

Sounds about right to me. My 14 year old son is drawing right at 60# as well.

·
Registered
766 Posts
im the same age aswell and i have the same weight. Works perfect, I dont get tired.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
if you can shoot it for a long period of time and still feel good and shoot accurate and can sit in the cold for hrs and draw the bow easy then ya sounds good. if you struggle then back it down. i sarted shooting 60# when i was 12. felt good to me and i could shoot long with it so i kept it there. still at 60# today. next bow might go up the 65# but idk.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Speaking as a coach, I'm bothered by your evaluating yourself against others.

It does not matter what others draw, or shoot, but what fits you, what you can handle.

Find your groove, the DW and DL that fits you, refine your skills and let the X-count and score speak for you. Stop worrying about what others shoot.

Just my two cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts