Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you all are pulling to hunt??? I want to make sure I am pulling enough!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
47# at 25" The best thing you can do is figure out the kinetic energy that your set up is creating and then go from there to see if you are pulling enough because everyones set up is a little different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
40# at 21" I was told this would be plenty to put down a whitetail here in Virginia.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
47# at 27" here. 40# is all u need for whitetail. And 40# is min legal here in AR. not sure what it is in other states.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks girls!!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
87 Posts
56 pounds at 26". I just got a new bow and got a size bigger(50-60 rather than 40-50) so I could work my way up slowly to more pounds but still be comfortable. but nebraska gal is completely right, got to have the kinetic engery behind them.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I'm a weakling I guess, 47lbs at 28"

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
50lbs at 25". I have a 55lb bow and would eventually like to work up to that but my friend killed a GIANT hog of a buck in southern Iowa last year with 42lbs and got a complete pass through.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I'm a weakling I guess, 47lbs at 28"
Ummmm, I don't think so....I would rip my guts out if I tried to draw over what I am!!! I shoot ALOT and am just comfortable with where I am, I really don't want to pull anymore!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Ummmm, I don't think so....I would rip my guts out if I tried to draw over what I am!!! I shoot ALOT and am just comfortable with where I am, I really don't want to pull anymore!!
I can pull more but am comfortable where I am.. I totaly agree with really not wantin to pull more.. it is comfortable and does the job..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ladies, what you really need to understand about draw weight/kinetic energy, etc is the weight to power ratio of your bow set up....
HUH??????
It all comes down to the weight of the arrow you shoot....... Lighter arrow, more speed; more speed, more energy.
That said, a heavier arrow will generate more kinetic energy too, but at a slower speed.

Women hunters will do better with more speed and the reason is if you make a boo boo in range estimation, then chances are you will still make a kill shot because the arrow will be flying flatter to your sight line.

This next comment is for the gals who are pulling lower poundage....ever wonder why you can't get enough elevation out of your sight for a 3rd, 4th or perhasps 5th pin?
Well there ya go.....too slow an arrow.

The industry rates the speed of the bow (IBO) with a 350 grain arrow; 30" draw length @ 70 lbs.

Most of us will never see those numbers....ever!
But if you stay within the magical 5 grains per pound of weight, you can make your bow really perform.

For example....a friend of mine shoots a Bowtech Equalizer.
Here's her set up:
34 lbs but trying to get up to 40#
26" Draw Lenght
Arrows...Gold Tip Ultralights 600's...weight....224 grains.
We just shot her arrows through the chronograph and guess what........249fps!!!!!!!
If she ever reaches 40 lbs, her speeds should be in the high 260's

When I set her up, we made sure the weight of the arrows would not go too much over 200 grains.
To competely match up her bow to arrow, the weight of the arrow could be 170 grains....that's real light and probably not possible to obtain, so the set up will be just a little heavy when she reaches 40#.

The point is, next time you are in your archery shop...take out one of your arrows and weight it. Then take that number and divide it by 5.
The resulting number should be close to the amount of poundage your pulling. If it isn't, try to figure a way to shoot a lighter arrow.
your 3-D scores will go up and you'll be able to make longer more accurate shots.

One more factor effecting speed is the length of draw.
Gals who have short little stumps for arms like me don't get as much mechanical advantage from our bows because the arrows doesn't stay on the string as long as it does for the longer armed ones.
So your 50 lbs will be more efficient than my 50#.
I compensate by for that by pulling more poundage and shooting the fastest bows I can afford.
Thank God the industry offers many great bows and now lighter arrows like the Gold Tip Velocities.

Hope this help

By the way....I pull 58 # @ 25 on my hunting bow
54 # on my 3-D bow
45# on my indoor 5 spot bow

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
While I agree with some of that...I get far better kinetic energy with my 404g arrows going 216fps than a 300g arrow going 244fps. More KE is better penetration if I accidentally hit shoulder. Sure I could shoot a 250g arrow but I don't think it would do well against large bones.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I will disagree with most everything said. Just how did you get 224 grains out of that arrow? Either its extremely short and/or extremely light point. Neither of which is ideal for hunting setup or even a target setup. Too short an arrow gives you awful spine which will give you awful groups. Too light a point give you no power on the front end. The FOC is way off. All you did was set her up to be aggravated.

Now, yes lighter arrow/more pounds does in fact equal more speed but at what loss? Yes tournament shooters want a flat trajectory, but accuracy is a heck of lot more important than speed. You have to be able to handle that speed and for a new shooter that is almost impossible.

For hunting, you want front end weight so that you get the power to propel that arrow on through the animal. There is a fine line between arrow and bow and finding that perfect combination may take a while. We as women have to get all the help we can get because of our lack of ability to pull high pounds and long draws. The most of us aren't built for it. You want the KE to also slam through the animal instead of the arrow acting like a ping pong ball at 25 yards. I shoot 52#'s and have shot through most everything, the only exception was a deer that I shot in the shoulder. My hunting arrows weigh 323 grains and it flies like a dart.

Girls, don't worry about your speed!!! Speed isn't everything. I'm shooting a Destroyer 350 this year with these same arrows and getting close to 270 fps. And I'm very excited to see what kind of damage I can do. Light arrow on a hunting setup=wounded animal

1 - 20 of 27 Posts