Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface my question with the facts that I am new to this forum and I've only been shooting a couple of years. I recently purchased a vipertec with 50-60# draw. With my other bow I was pulling between 58-63#. With my vipertec I can only get exactly 60# from it. I find the draw easier with the vipertec and would like to increase draw weight. Will that entail changing the limbs and cam module? If that is the case how expensive will it be? I know I should have bought the 60-70# bow but I didn't think the draw was going to be that easy and that my muscles would develop that fast. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
As far as I know the limbs would be the only thing you'd need to replace, cams and modules should remain the same. Generally new limbs run in the ballpark of 100 bucks, but that may vary from manufacturers. That said, 60 lbs is more than enough draw weight to take just about any big game animal in north america. You may find you like pulling more weight, some guys do. But me personally, 60 lbs is just right, and come that cold fall day when I'm frozen stiff and a deer finally walks by, I know I'll be able to pull my bow back, with ease. Many guys find shooting 70 lbs or more is fine when your warm but it can create problems in cold weather. Accuracy is my biggest concern personally, a well placed arrow is what it's all about. The difference between an arrow shot in the vitals from a 60 lb bow and a 70 lb bow is how far it sticks in the dirt after it passes through the animal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
draw weight

what type of cams are you using? cam & 1/2 or spirals? on hoyts the limb deflection determines how much poundage you shoot. your best bet is to call hoyt and ask what you need. they can tell you exactly.if you can pull 70 lbs, more power to you. i shoot 50-60 lb bows because i can't hold that much weight. if you pick your arrows carefully, you'll still shoot as fast as you need to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.