Archery Talk Forum banner

Draw weight.....

706 Views 19 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  vegard_dino
Hi all

I am as you know, new to bowhunting and need some help. What draw weight is minimum to go hunting deer, hog and so? 50-60#?

Also, is a 210gr broadhead "to" heavy for that bow, hunting?
I just got over some 210 gr from http://www.german-kinetics.com/html/broadheads.html.

Thanks for looking
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Those are some nice broadheads, but 210 gr? Unless you're using and extremely stiff shaft that weight broadhead is going to weaken the spine of your arrow by quite a bit. 50-60 is plenty weight for deer hunting, but you might try a broadhead more around 100 gr.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Those are some nice broadheads, but 210 gr? Unless you're using and extremely stiff shaft that weight broadhead is going to weaken the spine of your arrow by quite a bit. 50-60 is plenty weight for deer hunting, but you might try a broadhead more around 100 gr.
Yep, what he said :up:

· Arrow-minded Conservative
3,312 Posts
Depends

What the REAL minimum is doesn't matter. Your state has set a minimum, so you need to find that out. It is probably 35# or 40#. And, yes, that will do the job. If Shemane Nugent can kill a zebra with a 42# bow, you can kill a deer with a 40# bow.

Now, there are advantages of going higher, but you asked what the MINIMUM is. The 50# - 60# you mentioned would be ideal for deer, hogs, etc.

As for the bh weight, I'll let someone else give you advice on that. It sounds VERY heavy to me. The thing to remember is that you have to consider your entire set up, not just one aspect. Broadhead, arrow length/spine, draw weight/length, and target all have to be factored in because they all affect everything else.

But don't worry, you'll get some great advise here. (You'll also probably start a few arguments when those with heavy fletched aluminum arrows get into it with those using light fobbed carbon arrows! :happy1::moviecorn )

On a side note, those Silver Flames are TOUGH! You could get great penetration on a garbage truck with that head!

· Registered
3,016 Posts
Yep, what he said :up:
Ya what they said. Find a local proshop to help you get set up, jut make sure they are not the its my way or it s trash kind of place. They should realize that every shooter is difrent and likes difrent things and should guid you in choosing your stuff, not tell you this is what you have to have with the exceptions of minimum specs.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi hi

Hi and thanks all for the reply and help:smile:

Well, garbage truck penetrating is cool:cool::cool:, but maybe a bit more than I need..:smile:

So, if I get it right, a heavy broadhead needs a thicker and stiffer arrow? To make it fly right..Right?

So, then I maybe have to go for a carbon arrow that is more $$. Or a a heavy aluminium shaft arrow......:confused:
:happy1:, maybe I will start some arguments, but then I will learn more to...:smile:

But, back to the draw weight. Then I will look for a bow with 50-60# draw and a bit lighter broadheads.....190gr??:p

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Hi and thanks all for the reply and help:smile:

Well, garbage truck penetrating is cool:cool::cool:, but maybe a bit more than I need..:smile:

So, if I get it right, a heavy broadhead needs a thicker and stiffer arrow? To make it fly right..Right?

So, then I maybe have to go for a carbon arrow that is more $$. Or a a heavy aluminium shaft arrow......:confused:
:happy1:, maybe I will start some arguments, but then I will learn more to...:smile:

But, back to the draw weight. Then I will look for a bow with 50-60# draw and a bit lighter broadheads.....190gr??:p
190gr may be a little too light, but 210 is WAY too much. Look for something in the 198-203 gr range and you'll do fine. ;)

But seriously, I would find a local shop to help you out. BH and arrow selection can get a little overwhelming, but it sounds like you are on the right track. And you are right, a heavier BH will require a "stiffer" arrow to fly right. The most common weight out there is 100gr and that is the weight you will find the largest selection of BH. If you already have the Silver Flames, I would suggest selling them and putting that money towards something better suited to your needs.

For me, the only animals I would actually use the 210 grainers for because I felt I actually could use that much BH is cape buffalo and hippo.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
193gr......

Hi and thanks for the tip. Will seek out some GOOD 198gr BH´s:p

Well, yes, I got the 210gr from german kinetic.......ups, a bit early to get my hippo arrow´s:teeth:
So, yeah...Better sell them and get a lighter BH, that is more for what I will be hunting.

But, all help is good to me..still learning here, so I will ask more questions.......:smile::smile:....

Thanks

· Registered
55 Posts
I killed my first deer with a 48# draw and a 100gr. thunderhead and to this day i still only hunt deer with a 56# draw and now a 100gr. g5 montec.

You should check out the g5 line of bh's i think you will be impressed with there results.

best of luck to ya!

· Registered
136 Posts
I use a Hoyt Trykon XL (my first bow also) with Easton Axis FMJ's with Rage 2-blades (100 gr). You will find a lot of great info on here. There is alot to learn. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

· Arrow-minded Conservative
3,312 Posts
My gear

Martin bow 50#-55#

Cabela Stalker Extreme carbon arrows (which are really Beman ICS). If I couldn't get them, I'd use the Beman ICS or GoldTip XT Hunters

100 gr. Magnus Stinger broadheads

My suggestion: Start with a lighter draw weight (like 50#) to learn proper form. Later you can crank it up if you want/need, but in the beginning you don't want the draw weight to distract you from mastering the basics. too much weight in the beginning will ensure bad habits.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Hi and thanks for the information all

Well, why I got them? They was at a very low price,, and I just got them...well, yes, without thinking as my wife say´s....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, now I need some lighter broadheads..but will wait, to I got the bow now

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
With 210gr BH's your biggest issue will be with balancing your arrow for proper FOC (forward or front of center). Those 210gr SF's were designed for use with a very heavy arrow shaft as well.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it

Thanks for the reply....so, if I use them, 210gr BH, on a "slow" newbis bow, I need a very heavy arrow, and that will make the bow not as good as it will be with a lighter arrow-BH set up??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

· Registered
2,033 Posts
My longbows and recurves are 50-60#'s and i shoot 100 grain inserts and 150+ grain heads..........so at least 250 grains up front. They fly great with a lot of FOC

You will just need one size up in spine to shoot these heads.

My compounds shoot 100 grain heads and there is a bigger selection of heads, but your SF's will work great

· Registered
2,616 Posts
As far as DRAW WEIGHT for your bow choice, I have asked this before and I will ask it again, it will get the point across.

How many inches do you want your arrow to be burried in the dirt on the other side of the animal before you are satisfied? Put it this way, the more poundage you have, the harder it will be to find your arrow after it zips through the animal. :thumbs_up

· Registered
3,388 Posts
I currently shoot a DXT @ 40 lbs w/ 100 grn. 4 blade Magnus Stingers. I have no problems with this setup. Personally I wouldn't shoot over 125 grn unless you plan on taking something larger than an elk, anything more for deer is def overkill. I am thinking of upgrading to 60 lb limbs but will keep the same broadhead and switch to alumminum shafts. The only reason I am thinking of doing this is b/c w/ 60 lbs you can pretty much hunt anything in North America and it will extend my range to 40 yards or so. Glad to hear you are tying to get all the info you can, very smart and will help you out a lot. Good luck and keep the questions comin, none of us knows it all!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks...thanks

Well, what can I say? Just thank you all for helping me. The more you reply, the more questions I get in my head:eek:, so hope you dont mind them coming:smile:

I do get a bit more about the draw weight thing now, a 40-50# bow will take down close to all game in North America, it all come down to where the arrow/BH hit.
And, yes, the less it zips through, the less arrows one have to buy:smile:, thanks for that one.
Got that the bh I got, is way overkill for what I am aming to hunt, for starting.....have to find some 100-120gr and stay with that.

Have to go now, going over to look at a used bow that is for sale at the local bow range, cant wait to se it

Let you all know how it turned out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.