Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to accomplish the tough task of harvesting a spring turkey with a compound bow on the ground in no blind.

How do you guys draw on the birds? It is now day 3 of the season and twice I have had male birds within my shooting range but they walk right towards me when I call them in-I draw the bow-they run away??

The obvious answer would be draw in advance when you first see them but I use a slate call and find the need to "purr" to bring them in to my bow range so my hands are occupied.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I let them come in and Check out the decoy and stop calling. Once they loose interest and turn to walk away I draw and shoot. I've shot two this year doing that. Also, try purring with a mouth call it's fairly easy. Good luck keep trying it will happen.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you can see him..... yep he can see you

Well im no pro but the birds I have killed have all been in hardwoods. I will wait for them to come within 50 yds or so and when they go behind a tree I get my hand on my bow and my bow in my lap and attach my release. Then I just keep softly calling as they come closer when he goes behind another tree bring the bow up and draw. I like to use a high let off bow with a short axle to axle so I can shoot sitting against a tree and hold back if needed. And when he's in range let it fly. Just remember turkeys have great eye sight its hard to move slow enough so they won't see you. Your best bet is have something hindering their view. Good luck

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Once they are in range go silent. No calling. If they came in strutting they will continue to strut. Once they turn their back to you put your pin dead center on their rear. Never fails. Unless you miss:sad:

·
Liv4Rut
7,281 Posts
Never hurts to have a buddy calling in a position such that the birds will be more focused on his area and not yours so you can draw. Like the others said, if they can get to the decoys you will eventually get a shot.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's best to be able to use a mouth call for hands free operation when they are close. Even if they see some movement, calling will usually ease their nerves! I wait til they turn towards the decoy(which I always face towards my set-up) and draw when they have their back to me. You can, however, draw even when they are looking right at you... if you move REAL slow!

Keep at'em...it will happen!:wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts