Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a shot at the buck I’ve been after for a couple years. I patterned him and he finally gave me a shot last week. I had him exactly at 30 yards slightly quartered. I had a perfect shot on him but he ducked as soon as I released the arrow and I hit him high in the shoulder. I’m shooting a Mathews v3 with rage broad heads. 65 lb draw. It didn’t look like I got a lot of penetration. I tracked with a tracker dog for 800 yards until we lost blood. I’ve scoured the property the last 4 days looking and have come up empty. My question is I’m pretty sure he’s going to survive but what’s the chances he dies and if not will I see him again. The area is definitely his home area as I have been having him come out into this field quite often.
Plant Rectangle Wood Branch Twig

·
Registered
276 Posts
There's no way to know. Some of them probably go 5 miles and get ate by coyotes while they are still limped up. Some probably go 1000 yards, shed the arrow limp for a couple days and go back to business as usual. I've seen them come back, and I've had times they are never seen again by anyone with property anywhere near there. No way to know if that's because they died or bugged out.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Looking at that picture I feel like that deer was slightly quarter to you before you shot. If that's the case you're kind of taking your chances when you shoot them that way imo

·
Registered
652 Posts
I hate when that happens.
Did you ever find your arrow?
That will tell you a lot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate when that happens.
Did you ever find your arrow?
That will tell you a lot
No we never found the arrow. It was night with a lighted nock and still never found it. Blood was steady drip the entire 800 yards but didn’t seem like enough to be fatal

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,122 Posts
Looking at that picture I feel like that deer was slightly quarter to you before you shot. If that's the case you're kind of taking your chances when you shoot them that way imo
What makes you think that the deer was quartered to him prior to the shot based on that pic. In that pic the deer is already reacting(ducking and preparing to bolt) so there is no way based on that pic to dispute what the OP is saying.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As a dog tracker, I would say most of us dread the shoulder shot more than anything. Chances of finding a shoulder shot deer seem to be much lower than any other shot, even gut shot. High shoulder shots seem to be caught on trail camera a week or two later often times as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What makes you think that the deer was quartered to him prior to the shot based on that pic. In that pic the deer is already reacting(ducking and preparing to bolt) so there is no way based on that pic to dispute what the OP is saying.
Plant Mesh Vegetation Grass Wood

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
So assuming his shot came from where the camera is, he's already shooting at the forward half of the deer with the deer being kind of broadside the way the he is in the pic. Now I'm going to assume that the deer was turning away from the arrow, not towards the arrow which would mean that he would have been more quartered to the Archer before the shot. Also in the op he says that the deer was quartered he does not say quarter to or quartered away

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry to hear that...
I've had experience with rages and shoulder hits not working out to good. It's an armor plate.

Reactions: df06

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So assuming his shot came from where the camera is, he's already shooting at the forward half of the deer with the deer being kind of broadside the way the he is in the pic. Now I'm going to assume that the deer was turning away from the arrow, not towards the arrow which would mean that he would have been more quartered to the Archer before the shot. Also in the op he says that the deer was quartered he does not say quarter to or quartered away
He basically seemed like he saw me shoot. He seemed like he lowered his shoulder into the shot. I’ve looked hard for 4 days as me and this buck have a lot of history. The video doesn’t show much penetration so I’m just hoping he will return

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I wouldn’t of taken that shot. He’s looking right at you and quartered to with leg back. Plus using a rage…..na, don’t do it.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
7,525 Posts
I wouldn’t of taken that shot. He’s looking right at you and quartered to with leg back. Plus using a rage…..na, don’t do it.
Kinda like four strikes against the shooter.

·
Registered
HalonX 65.5Lbs 590 grain
1,186 Posts
Sorry you lost him , next time be ready no less than 550 grain arrow coc head , why some time the target moves after we pull the trigger and rage"s is not built for bone, I would go single bevel.

·
Registered
626 Posts
He basically seemed like he saw me shoot. He seemed like he lowered his shoulder into the shot. I’ve looked hard for 4 days as me and this buck have a lot of history. The video doesn’t show much penetration so I’m just hoping he will return
He seen you shoot that bright lighted saucer come flying at him a lot of people disagree with me but I’ve tested it in the woods a deer that ducks 9/10 times the shooter is shooting a lighted nock my belief is they see the nock and it spooks them just as much as the sound.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts