Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new martin dreamcatcher today at our local archery shop. I don't know how long the shop has had this bow in stock. The manual says the brace height should be 8 1/2 to 9 in. if you look at the web site specs it says 7 1/4 to 8 in. I believe I bought a "new bow" That is a few years old? anyway I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advice on brace height and the real age of the bow ss# emd66*** The bow was still unfired in the box do I guess age is just a number but I would still like to know

·
(aka lug nut)
48,352 Posts
I bought a new martin dreamcatcher today at our local archery shop. I don't know how long the shop has had this bow in stock. The manual says the brace height should be 8 1/2 to 9 in. if you look at the web site specs it says 7 1/4 to 8 in. I believe I bought a "new bow" That is a few years old? anyway I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advice on brace height and the real age of the bow ss# emd66*** The bow was still unfired in the box do I guess age is just a number but I would still like to know
The Dreamcatcher is only a 60-inch AMO length bow.
So, 9-inches of brace height would be not a good idea
(string way too short, and bending the limbs too much at brace).

Try between 7.25 to 8-inches
and shoot arrows
and you are looking for the "quietest" shot.

When you find the sweet spot for brace height,
the bow will provide a very quiet shot.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
As a rule, I also start at the lower limits of recommended brace height and tune towards quiet. But generally, I’ll be pretty much decided on how I’ll be using the bow right away and have an arrow that is in the ballpark for the intended purpose. A light fast arrow often has greater potential for loud than does the other end of the spectrum. Anyhow, the routine with the sound factor is usually to find out how quiet the bow can be, before any additional accessorizing.

Dream Catchers are not vintage bows, per se, but are relatively new in the Martin line. I checked their catalog specs for 2001 #2805 Dream Catcher and the brace height given was 8 ½” – 9.” Their 2009 catalog specs for #2805 Dream Catcher gives a brace height of 7 ¼” – 8.” Go figure…but they are still in business and would probably be able to answer the age question.

Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To make it even more confusing: here they say 8-8.5 inch!

Well, I gues you'll have to search for it. I would sart with 7.5 and work your way up untill you found your sweet spot.
BTW, is this your first bow or are you experienced?

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
To add more fuel to this fire...

I find that the brace height that is quiet, and accurate, is the one to use. If it is a half an inch to short or too long but gives you the performance you desire, that is the height to use.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I find that the brace height that is quiet, and accurate, is the one to use. If it is a half an inch to short or too long but gives you the performance you desire, that is the height to use.
I prefer this method. My brace height on my bow is 1/4 inch longer than recommended. Seemed the quietest to me...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To make it even more confusing: here they say 8-8.5 inch!

Well, I gues you'll have to search for it. I would sart with 7.5 and work your way up untill you found your sweet spot.
BTW, is this your first bow or are you experienced?
This is my first recurve lots of compound exp I draw 29 1/2 the bow shoots well I think at 8 in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts