Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a Dremel tool for sharpening knives, broadheads or broadhead blades?

If so, which attachment did you use? Did it work well for you?

I'm supposed to be getting a Dremel with all the attachments (including the Flex-Shaft) for my b-day, next month and would like to put it to good use. :)

Thank you, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sharpening.

I think they make a sharpener for them now. I have the black and decker copy and it came with some cone shaped stone that work great.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Make sure to keep the grinding stone something wet, especially concerning high grade equiment like expensive knives or broadheads. Sharpen at lowest speed.

I use a TORMEK wet grinder with a 10" grinding stone and leather wheel for honing/stroping at home and a Spyderco triangle-sharpmaker on my hunting trips in foreign countries.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you can do more damage with a dremel than good. In short, because of the high speed of the dremel, removing too much metal from any one area becomes extremely easy resulting in an uneven edge.

I would recomend sticking with the manual sharpening method.
It means that things take a little longer, BUT, mistakes happen at a much slower rate, and can be stopped before any lasting damage is done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts