Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know you are supposed to use a special high-speed cut-off saw for arrows, but i was wondering if i could use a Dremel with the good high-speed wheel to cut my dad's carbon arrows down a couple inches.

·
Registered
636 Posts
ChachiSnips said:
i know you are supposed to use a special high-speed cut-off saw for arrows, but i was wondering if i could use a Dremel with the good high-speed wheel to cut my dad's carbon arrows down a couple inches.
The dremel will have enough speed with an abrasive wheel it will cut just fine. BUT! Keep the cut straight! My hands are too shaky to keep the tool straight for such a small cut. I ruined two shafts trying. My neighbor...an 83 yr old man...came over and cut the rest for me and they are all straight. LOL

Nate

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
That's exactly how I cut mine. I really need to make a jig to hold the dremel and the arrow, but I don't do enough arrows to warrant it. I normally do them on the back porch while :darkbeer: a cold one!:wink:

Oh yea.... you BETTER get a G5 ASD so you can properly square the end(s) before gluing in the inserts. It's all but impossible to get a perfectly square cut with a dremel by hand.

-ZA

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i use a dremel with a thin wheel and it works just great.
the thicker wheels tend to splinter the shaft a little, try to practise on some old arrows, AND WEAR GLASSES!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you go to harborfreight.com they have a mini cutoff saw that works great. I used it to make an arrow saw that i seen in ebay, the only thing you need is the 2 inch mini abrasive wheel from ebay. They work great for alum. and carbon arrows

·
Registered
590 Posts
What you have to worry about is getting it straight. With just your hand holding the tool and arrow it is hard to get the cut straight.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I built a little jig to hold the dremel and another device for the arrows. It works just like the real things (just not as pretty).

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Dremel Tool?

The bubbas around here prefer a vise with rubber jaws and a fine tooth hacksaw. Three strokes and your done. Wait a minute........never mind.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I've never used one, but here is one a guy named MOBuck built.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
looks like some ******* engineering...

the beer counterweight doubles the value of that item.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the quick responses, looks like I'll be rigging a make-shift jig and just go at it w/ my dremel.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Here is the one I built...

A couple of years ago I searched for some plans for a saw. I came across MObucks saw and someone else's saw. I looked at their design and then I drew mine up and here is what I came up with. My buddy's at work made me a name plate for it. We call it the "Arrow Master 1000". They laughed then but who do they call when the need arrows cut. I use the Dremel fiber wheels. I think they are 1 1/8" dia. I am looking for some larger diameter wheels the smaller ones wear out to fast when cutting aluminum arrows or crossbow bolts. I also built a nock reciever for crossbow bolts it is in the picture resting on the adjustment slot.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Dremel works fine if...

The Dremel will work fine if you use it carefully. Best to make a jig for it so it only cuts just past the inside wall of the shaft, then rotate the shaft. You can get 1 1/2" diamond cutoff wheels that work better than the abrasive disks, though those do work OK. IMHO, the Dremel, even with the abrasive disk, is much better than the Harbor Freight type saw. I had one of those for a few weeks, ruined a few arrows, and sold it. No regrets at all. The G5 ASD is a good idea to make sure the cuts are square. I have been using a .243 Winchester case trimmer to square the ends, and have no problem getting broadheads to spin well.:)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The only glaring fault with using a Dremel is that you often have to make 2 cuts to get the shaft where it will clear the tool body. I've been using a Dremel and home made jig for about 30 years. Even with 2 cuts, it's still a fine tool for cutting arrows. I've found those fibre reinforced cut off wheels to work really well for cutting arrows. They hold up well, and make a cut that requires very little chamfering.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hoggin03 said:
I built a little jig to hold the dremel and another device for the arrows. It works just like the real things (just not as pretty).
Post a picture I would like to see it.
thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts