Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dress me for a back country Elk Hunt Here in the Great state of Idaho. Id like a list of what everyone uses and then your suggestions for what i should bring with me.
A little about the hunt. Its going to be a base camp style hunt so we will have horses bring all our gear in but then we will mostly be doing spot and stalk style hunting.
Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you
At this time Money is not a problem.

·
HERD BULL
2,001 Posts
be prepared for 80* or days where it snows and never gets above 20*. rest assured two days later it will be hot again. last year I was snowed on August 30th. hope that helps. with horses you have the luxury of bringing more!

·
Registered
328 Posts
My layering system is as follows:
Here's my layering system

Top:
First Lite Llano
Polartec Fleece
Kuiu Guide Jacket

Bottoms:
Kuiu Attack Pants
First Lite Allegheny base layer (for when it's cold)
Kuiu Gaiters

Rain Gear:
Kryptek Poseidon

I haven't put this stuff to the test yet, but I've done a lot of research and it should get me through early bow season and the extended season for utah. I'll be doing the same spot and stalk type hunting. If I had the money I would probably buy kuiu's chugach rain gear instead of the poseidon. I only spent 160 total on the poseidon and just the rain jacket from kuiu is 270. I would also get a puffy jacket and maybe kuiu's guide pants. With this being said you probably won't be able to get any of kuiu's gear for your hunt. I had to wait a while to get my kuiu stuff. You might need to go with sitka instead. I've hear their ascent pants are very similar to the attacks and the jetstream jacket should be similar to the guide. And they have a few different sets of rain gear that would be similar to kuiu's chugach.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If you don't have any Merino Wool base layers, invest in some! They will cover you for a wide range of temps. Leave the Under Armour at home or use it for the day you pack in and the day you pack out. And a good pair of boots and socks.

I just bought a pair of zip off Kuiu Merino wool bottoms and am hoping they are as slick as they sound.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
First Lite man. Great pattern (ASAT) plus the best merino wool around in my book.

Top-flight Llano, Chama and puffy jacket if necessary.

BOTTOM-FL socks, red desert boxers (must have) then Kanab pants.

Rain gear-First Lite

No I'm not sponsored by First Lite (here's hoping!)

·
HERD BULL
2,001 Posts
First Lite man. Great pattern (ASAT) plus the best merino wool around in my book.

Top-flight Llano, Chama and puffy jacket if necessary.

BOTTOM-FL socks, red desert boxers (must have) then Kanab pants.

Rain gear-First Lite

No I'm not sponsored by First Lite (here's hoping!)
concur with the exception of the rain gear and being sponsored. I've grown to embrace the rain after having lived in wa for the last ten years. Can't discredit the fact that it's an Idaho based company either.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Not sure what you mean? I can assure you I'm not sponsored by First Lite, just a big time believer in who they are, their products and customer service

·
HERD BULL
2,001 Posts
Not sure what you mean? I can assure you I'm not sponsored by First Lite, just a big time believer in who they are, their products and customer service
Not knocking ya a bit, man. Just not hoping to be sponsored was all I meant. If you notice my sig I feel very similar to you about their product.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Boy, you guys are quick on the draw. I was thinking something more like this...

Clothing Dress Performance Fashion Fashion model

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Man Bruce,,, if I had $100 for evey time you make me spit drinks of whatever out of my mouth after a read post of yours Id have enough to buy a couple more carbon bows. LOL

First thing I was thinking was loin cloth then I see your post,,, BAM<<,dew on the keyboard and down my sinuses. HA!

Sorry, HIJACK over.
carry on gentlemen.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,114 Posts
Man Bruce,,, if I had $100 for evey time you make me spit drinks of whatever out of my mouth after a read post of yours Id have enough to buy a couple more carbon bows. LOL

First thing I was thinking was loin cloth then I see your post,,, BAM<<,dew on the keyboard and down my sinuses. HA!

Sorry, HIJACK over.
carry on gentlemen.
What can I say...I drink, I post, I don't take myself (or anyone else) too seriously.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,114 Posts
Dress me for a back country Elk Hunt Here in the Great state of Idaho. Id like a list of what everyone uses and then your suggestions for what i should bring with me.
A little about the hunt. Its going to be a base camp style hunt so we will have horses bring all our gear in but then we will mostly be doing spot and stalk style hunting.
Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you
At this time Money is not a problem.
Here's what I wear/carry:

I wear-
Merino base layer (Icebreaker or FL)
Sitka Timberline pants
Cap
Bandit
Gloves
Darn Tough socks

I carry-
Sitka Jetstream jacket
Dewpoint rainsuit
Kelvin vest
Merino knit cap
hand warmers and a Kifaru Woobie or Doobie Express just in case I get stuck

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree that with all in regards to Merino Wool base layers. They are worth the money. They don't stink after days of sweating and they are very comfortable. Good, broken-in boots are essential and high quality rain gear. Like another poster said, be ready for BIG temperature swings. It can be 20 in the morning and 85 in the afternoon.

to recap:
Merino Wool base layers
Boots
Good Rain gear

Everything else is less important in my mind, and you can probably get by fine with what you already have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.