Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, the thread title pretty well sums it up. What are some advantages/disadvantages of each. I'm trying to figure out which way to go...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
There's an advantage having a center drilled lens. You always have the option of mounting a fiber optic. You always have the ability to cover the drilled hole with a stick on aperature. Pre drilled lens offer more options.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
One more thing,unless you apply the decal perfectly centered, everytime you clean the glass it's in a slightly different spot when returned to the scope.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i use both but prefer the center drilled lens. i can still use a stick on dot or a fibre optic.

heavy dart, as for cleaning lenses and possibly having the stick on dot stuck on a bit off centre, i usually put a small mark on the bottom of the lens and make sure the lens goes back in the scope the same way every time. works for me and its added insurance incase things arent exactly centred

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'm new to the realm of scopes myself, I've discovered how hard it is to thread the fiber thru the .019 up pin, and, the lens, without bending the fiber in between the lens and pin!

·
Registered
18,077 Posts
with a drilled lens you do have to watch that you don't lose you fiber optic, it's always good o carry a extra piece with you to shoots

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I shoot a drilled lens. The advantage to me is that I don’t have to look at the post supporting the fiber. On some animal targets the 12 ring is very low in the animal, and at 50 yds it looks extremely low! I like to see 360 around the dot for the way I aim.
One of the biggest disadvantages is weather. If you get caught up in a down pour with a post you can remove your lens, with it drilled you are looking thru rain drops!

best of luck whatever you choose

·
Registered
532 Posts
i like the drilled scope with .19 for 3D and .29 for spots.a couple of my friends went to the dot for spots which help them get rid of some target panic. i like to see what i am shooting at

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I like a drilled lens, but found at Redding a couple of years ago that having an up pin would have been great, just to be able to remove the lens and still have the pin there for sighting. Water doesn't bother the pin, but sure messes up a lens. I have made it so I can put cross hairs in if the rain gets bad, and take the lens out. It is better than not being able to see the target.

Mike

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
cs1973 said:
i use both but prefer the center drilled lens. i can still use a stick on dot or a fibre optic.

heavy dart, as for cleaning lenses and possibly having the stick on dot stuck on a bit off centre, i usually put a small mark on the bottom of the lens and make sure the lens goes back in the scope the same way every time. works for me and its added insurance incase things arent exactly centred
Thanks cs1973 thats good advise.I only wish you had told me 2 years ago when I was trying to figure out why, on occasion my groups would move.:teeth:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so lets take this a step further... who makes the best (yes, I know "best" is a relative term) drilled glass lens?? Anybody shooting a feathervision drilled?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Drilled Feather Vision that is.
I think it is very good compared to a lot of others in that price range,but if you are prepared to spent some serious dough,there are some amazing optics out there.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heavy dart said:
Drilled Feather Vision that is.
I think it is very good compared to a lot of others in that price range,but if you are prepared to spent some serious dough,there are some amazing optics out there.
Alright, price is no object... what would you go with?

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
heavy dart said:
Well I did get a peek threw a Sureloc Swarovski,as well as a Zeiss.Both were amazing compared to what I am used to.
Yeah, I was really leaning toward the CR Apex with a drilled lense... only problem is the lense I was looking at (the verde) aparently isn't available drilled. So that brought me over to the Classic scopes which use Zeiss lenses.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts