Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drinking straw spin vanes.jpg

Hi, has anybody here tried this before? I was wondering if they will work? Its very cheap compared to spinwings or other spin vanes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you can cut the straws to look like any brand name spin vane. You can probably customize also. Size and shape.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
LOL times must be tough if you ou want to make vanes out of plastic straws . Whats next raid your mums sewing basket using cotton for serving

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Straws?
You monster~.....

·
M4L
2,133 Posts
This is ingenious, how is your arrow flight??

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
lexel -

When I saw the title, I figured - "great, another DIY waste of time" (can't post the words I used really used), but they actually look pretty good.

Only issue I would see is how to keep the size and shape consistent.
Even slightly off (on the same arrow) would have negative effects on flight and consistency.
If you could make a jig for the cuts, you might have something.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’m pretty sure nobody has any interest in my opinion, but:

1] there’s a thread on here that says “for mortals fletching precision doesn’t matter”,

2] if your tune is good fletched arrows and totally unfletched arrows arrive at the same point,

3] if you’re stealing straws from In-n-out to do fletching the precision of the trim won’t matter,

4] you still have to buy double sided tape (doable), and wrap tape. The latter is a problem since all I’ve been able to find is a roll of “striping tape”, which is two strips of tape with a gap in the middle,

5] if you steal straws from two different burger stands you can have differently coloured index vanes.

6] since arrows are black now wrap tape should be black. As the picture above. I have Spider Vanes with white, white, and red tape. This set of GasPros came with black.

You may now return to your normal routine. Thank you for your attention.����

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just tried cutting out some vanes from a drinking straw that was lying on the kitchen counter. I just used some scissors, free hand.

After a couple minutes of experience (OP, hopefully you have more time in on this, and can contribute better tips...), I report that:

- getting an approximate spin vane shape is pretty easy

- getting precision (each vane looking like every other one) is way way more difficult

- I don't think the spiral cut on the straw is contributing anything (?) although I suppose you could harvest a slightly taller vane out of the diagonally cut material - probably would be easier just to slit the straw lengthwise to get your raw material

- for really cheap approach to a jig, I think I would cut my desired shape out of stiff cardboard (2 identical pieces), sandwich the flattened straw material between the cardboard pieces, and trim around the edge for each vane

- die cut would work better, but then there is the expense of getting that set up...

- not sure, but the smallish diameter straw I tried looked like the resulting vanes would perhaps be too curly; maybe better with a larger bore specimen?

- we have no info on 'stickability' of typical drinking straw material (will it stay on the arrow?), nor on durability of said material (lack of durability seems a common gripe with the commercial spin vane products)

·
Lowered expectations
15,640 Posts
I did try this some time shortly after Spin Wing vanes first hit the market. Had trouble making them stick, and did not use them more than a couple of tries, so I can't comment on accuracy or durability.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I gave it a shot and here is what I came up with.

1. Cut a drinking straw down the center.

2. Cut a smaller piece off the drinking straw. Tape it to a desk. Use another fletch to trace the shape. Cut it using a pair a scissors.

3. I used Bohning feather fletch tape and shrink wrap to mount it on the arrow shaft.

Finished product.

·
12 stepper for gear...
3,834 Posts
Looks like a really cool DIY. The nice thing is you could tailor your tips and tails to give more for the end wraps to grab.

Time will tell on the adhesion, but I can't imagine why durability would be an issue after watching my son chew straws as a kid and they still help up... sort of.

Just because I like doing stuff like this, I am tempted. a jig would make replication pretty easy. Now I just have to find myself some good straw specimens.

I wonder if there will be venues where only paper straws will be allowed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wonder if there will be venues where only paper straws will be allowed.
Cali will be the first out of the gate on this closely followed by the drier states...be a bugger if you get a downpour mid-tournament and suddenly you're shooting bareshafts :teeth:...better have your tune and form dialed in!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts