Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thinking more about spiral cut vs straight cut on the straw... Spiral cut gives potentially wider material (although material width from straight cut looks adequate). However, spiral cut would also give a gentler curvature (less tight curl) than straight cut, which may be important in imitating the 'curliness' of commercial vanes. If this is true, and assuming curliness is an important parameter, I imagine that getting consistent curliness from vane to vane is probably more difficult than getting consistent shape.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Nope CA is out on this. Remember we have more and more cities here making plastic straws illegal.:confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
the great debate: McDonald's vs Burger King vs Wendy's straws - which is best?!

and for the indoor crowd, try using the fat straws from DQ or a boba tea counter?

in all seriousness, if i had the engineering chops, i'd play around with different profiles, heights, attack angles! this is an awesome life-hack!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm actually very impressed with how it came out. The straw I used, from Wendy's, has a very strong thick plastic, at least stronger than the spin vanes I use.

The curl on the straw vane is just slightly more than my spin wings. I'm just eyeballing it and it's barely noticeable.

When the weather improves I'm going to fletch up three arrows with drinking straw vanes and see how they compare.

The only thing I'm changing is making the tips and ends longer so that the shrink wrap covers them better as bobnikon suggested.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thinking more about spiral cut vs straight cut on the straw... Spiral cut gives potentially wider material (although material width from straight cut looks adequate). However, spiral cut would also give a gentler curvature (less tight curl) than straight cut, which may be important in imitating the 'curliness' of commercial vanes. If this is true, and assuming curliness is an important parameter, I imagine that getting consistent
curliness from vane to vane is probably more difficult than getting consistent shape.
I think the spiral cut gives the vane some sort of angle or built in helical even if you stick them on straight.

·
Genesis 21:20
21,809 Posts
Very clever indeed. I'm kinda surprised it took this long for someone to see this possibility, but if nothing else - in a pinch - you can get a supply of fletching at any convenience store or drive-thru!

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,480 Posts
I've seen people successfully shoot vanes made from delicatessen tubs and old floppy discs before. definitely an ingenious way to get a curl though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Attempt #2

Added longer tip and tails to the design so that wrap catches more of the wing.. Came out great this will probably be the design I use to test how it compares to store bought spin wings.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It's not going to work well. The pitch is wrong.

·
FITA/TRAD/PARA SuperMod
3,528 Posts
in-n-out straws are best.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Attempt #2

Added longer tip and tails to the design so that wrap catches more of the wing.. Came out great this will probably be the design I use to test how it compares to store bought spin wings.

The pitch does look wrong though. It might just be the camera angle. I’d try moving the tip tape further up the fletch to get the front to lay down proportionately more than the tail end. Will give it more of a helical pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Still Mr. sunshine I see. LOL
Really, John? With your years of expert experience, this is all you have to say? Because I'd expect you to know what's going on here. You do know what the issue is, don't you?

·
Genesis 21:20
21,809 Posts
I just see some intelligent tinkering that might even work. ;) No need to poo-poo the idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the rear with the correct pitch? I'm looking at my arrow with Kurly vanes and it looks the same to me.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I moved the tape up on the tip side of the vane and it did create a helical. Is this what you guys meant?

The other option is when you put them on to adhere them at a slight offset. The way the normal skin wings come they have a bit of natural curl to them which gives some of the pitch. Kudos on the innovative and environmentally friendly archery hack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 60 Posts