Archery Talk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
My kid is in to Boba tea. Those straws are serious fat gauge tubes. Might have to try one of those next time he gets that expensive treat. Might cost more than just buying fletching though at about 5 bucks a drink.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
If the wall of the straw is too thick, it's not going to work very well. Most of the work is done at the first few feet of the arrow leaving the string. If it doesn't unfurl during that short period, it's not doing its job.

·
Genesis 21:20
21,743 Posts
If the wall of the straw is too thick, it's not going to work very well. Most of the work is done at the first few feet of the arrow leaving the string. If it doesn't unfurl during that short period, it's not doing its job.
And here I thought the most important part was at the end of the flight, when the arrow was losing velocity and fighting the wind. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm with TMD on this one. A huge factor on the success of spinnies is its softness. Slow mo videos that capture arrow flight up to a few feet ahead of the bow shows an "unfurling" motion in the vanes as it just gets to spinning. I suspect this is what TMD is talking about.

However, I'm wondering if one uses large bubble tea straws and make vanes for line cutters, the scaling up of this idea may work better?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
There’s a video?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
And here I thought the most important part was at the end of the flight, when the arrow was losing velocity and fighting the wind. Learn something new every day.
The battle is fought before the dive. That’s coasting, like the Apollo missions where the rockets fire the first half that decides how the rest of the journey plays out. The last dive only requires minimal drag from the curled vanes attached to a shaft rotating at the rate decided by the instantaneous velocity of the arrow and the effective pitch to achieve net zero angle of attack of the three vanes. The reason spinnies work the way they seem to work is because of its ability to achieve maximum drag at zero rotation and transit to minimal drag. It is not as effective as straight vanes or feathers in changing wind conditions through the flight pat to the target but it more than compensated by doing its job better than the straight vanes both at the beginning and at the end.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Drag, is absolutely necessary to match the airflow to the axis of the shaft, so that the net amount of drag is minimal for the entire flight path. Lateral wind drift is also a kind of drag, but since wind only exists with the static objects as reference, it doesn’t “blow” on the side of the shaft once the airflow has straightened out. We covered this many many months ago.

·
21,743 Posts
Does the additional velocity at launch alone, not result in more drag?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi, I think you need to do the spiral cut in order to add the "pitch" that they are saying. I did a little experiment on varying the degree of spiral cut and how it affects the pitch. The straws that I used are approximately the same or maybe just a little bit softer in stiffness than original spinwings. The straws are approximately 7mm in diameter. See the pictures below for details.
20190130_095650.jpg
20190130_093648.jpg
20190130_094049.jpg
20190130_094217.jpg
20190130_093848.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Cool, does your 'little experiment' include shooting arrows with any of these straw-vanes on them? If so, how do they perform? If not, why don't you? - John
Hi, I will try to shoot them and compare with spinwings once I get the chance to go on the range. Maybe on the weekend. But I think I don't shoot good enough to show differences caused by the vanes. Lol. I'm putting it here so maybe the better shooters can test them out. Hehe.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Better shooters can afford off the shelf merchandise. They have no care for us tinkerers. This page, this is for ourselves. Elite archers exist so there’s something to watch on that 65” Sony OLED screen in the pub or in the living room when your irritating nephew comes over for dinner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The good shooters or even the pros might also want the idea of being able to custom cut the profile and angle of their spin vanes? I imagine there would be different optimum profiles and angles for different setups because of different draw weights for example.

Maybe they could sell us range o matic, xswings or gas pro "straws" and let us decide the best angle and shape for our vanes.

·
21,743 Posts
The good shooters or even the pros might also want the idea of being able to custom cut the profile and angle of their spin vanes? I imagine there would be different optimum profiles and angles for different setups because of different draw weights for example.

Maybe they could sell us range o matic, xswings or gas pro "straws" and let us decide the best angle and shape for our vanes.
Actually, I have to (and hate to) agree with TMD on this one. The only ones who worry/think/tinker over this stuff are the amateurs. I'm not saying it isn't worth doing. Quite the contrary. But the "good" shooters spend a lot more time training, and not a lot of time tinkering, as they are usually sponsored or are inclined to just go with what they know works for other good shooters.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think it’s a cool idea. Not saying I will do it but definitely interesting. Now will someone please shoot the darn things? Lol

41 - 60 of 60 Posts