Archery Talk Forum banner

Drive Up OR Walk In

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Hard Horned
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hunting a piece of ground that allows me to get pretty close to my desired stand locations via truck, through the cut corn fields.
It's going to be fairly warm when I arrive, and I'm 100% certain I'll get sweated up hauling everything in to set my stands.
It's roughly a quarter mile from where I typically park, to my stand sites.
The way the property lays out and some deer bedding near the field edges, it's almost inevitable to bump a few deer when walking in/out.

Would you drive up as close as possible to the spot you'd be setting stands, to avoid laying down human scent along the way?
OR, would you walk in to limit the noise of a vehicle in the fields?

There will be at least two days before I'd be hunting the stands I'm setting.

What are your thoughts?

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts
Preseason I would drive up. During the season I would be as scent cautious as possible.

· Full Time Novice
11,274 Posts
I would drive to my hunting area. Then drive my utility vehicle within 100 yards and then dress into hunt base layer then walk to stand.

But I'm your case uh I'd probably drive as close as I can get. Don't drive and park your truck next to the stand though. Keep some of the wipes they'll come in handy.

· Hard Horned
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Preseason I would drive up. During the season I would be as scent cautious as possible.
Wouldn't driving up eliminate as much scent as possible, rather than walking and sweating the whole way?

BTW, thank you for the fast shipping on an ebay order last week!

I would drive to my hunting area. Then drive my utility vehicle within 100 yards and then dress into hunt base layer then walk to stand.
Did you read the OP?

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Yesterday we drove in hung a stand within a few feet of the tree. Hung the stand then hunted it an hour later. Saw lots of deer.

Now this is farm land and they are used to vehicles. The stand is right off an access road. I figured this was less intrusive than dragging everything in there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Obsession Bows
5,777 Posts
Drive up anytime you can to check cam's or hang sets. The deer are way more used to equipment in vehicles around ag fields then they are someone trying to sneak in on them. I always leave the vehicle running as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.