Archery Talk Forum banner

Driving myself crazy trying to group better, when to stop

731 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ramboarhunter
I have been shooting my bow now for the last month or so I shoot about 12-15 hours a week, I am making my self crazy , I shoot 6 arrows trying for the best group I can get. I can get them down to about a 1.5" on good days and 2" and up on others:thumbs_do we have a 25 yd indoor here I shoot in .
The bow is purely a hunting rig that I use for shots no further that 40 yds. I keep messing with the bow trying to make it better but I usually make it worse, so I am back to my original setup. I usually end up tearing of vanes, once in a while I will hood a arrow. Am I being to critical on this. Should I be happy with what I am getting?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9,276 Posts
Hey,

I don't know what others will think about this. I would say your in the zone, you are very accurate for hunting situations. If you shoot 2" groups at 25 Yards,You should be able to shoot 5 inch groups at 50 yards. That will get any big game that I'm aware of.

Keep up the good shooting and take care.

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for the input oct71, so your saying I should be happy with what I am getting then. I dont know why it is bothering me so bad, I am starting on my 3rd year with archery equip, so I guess I shouldnt complain. I guess the only improvements that can be made in my case is me. Thanks

· Registered
9,276 Posts
Yes,

I think you should shoot to the best of your abilty before you start hunting and you sound like your confident.

I'm sure there are people that would give a left nut to shoot as well as you do.

Bye

· Registered
13,757 Posts
no body is perfect every time they shot.. lots of things can have effects, wind, mirage, mind set, blood presure and even breathing... as long as you shoot as well as you are.. the only lily chance of improvement will take a coach and theres just not a lot of room to improve it will be small

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
I used to chew myself apart messing with the equipment. That was over 3 decades ago. A good friend of mine and a state field champion began coaching me and finally drilled into my head to do several things. See if I can name a few.

1. Shoot form, shoot form, shoot form.

2. Aim the bow. Shoot the bow and let the bow shoot the arrow.

3. Shoot one arrow at a time. The only one that matters is the one in
the bow. In other words, don't shoot groups.

4. Shoot form and little else matters.

Mess with the equipment all you want, but even an untuned bow will repeat itself shot after shot and has the capability to shoot the same arrow in the same hole time after time.

· Back Yard Champion
35,970 Posts
bfisher is telling you like it is.

I like my target arrows clashing together (when I shot using a single bull's eye). My hunting arrows I like shooting one group (1 arrow) at a time - right in the kill zone. That's part of my hunting practice, placing the one arrow I'll most likely get. After the first arrow I walk away for a hour or so and try that one shot group again. If it's good enough for Randy Ulmer it's good enough for me.

· Registered
18 Posts
Paper tunning will get all the kinks on the bows end out, so then you can concentrate on just shooting. the otherthing I do is practice at longer ranges,40 50 60 then at 25 it will seem like your 5 yds away. I also try to get in 50 to 60 arrows a day depending on the weather. But that bow must be tuned:wink: Sounds like your doing fine with that yardage!

· Registered
3,974 Posts
Shooting too much

Personal Opinion; you are shooting too much.
Only shoot 3 or 4 arrows at a time
Reduce your shooting time to 1 to 2 hours per session.
Only shoot every other day.
As stated before concentrate on each arrow. The one that is already shot you can't catch before it hits the target and the one in the quiver is to be worried about at a later time.
Sounds as if you are shooting pretty good right now. Keep ir up.
Good Luck.
Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.