Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I only bow fish about five times a year, and resetting my drop away after changing to a hostage containment rest sucks, is it a good idea to use a appache drop away rest for bow fishing four or five times a year then go back to target shooting with the same bow?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I wouldn't. You will get water,slime,guts and everything else in there. Have you considered buying a cheap older bow at a pawn shop and use that? I do not use my hunting bow for bow fishing. You can find bows for 30-50 dollars at pawn shops.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,277 Posts
why...

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
for one i would think that heavy fiberglass bowfishing arrow would wear out a drop away rest rather quickly. the rest i use for bowfishing is a roller rest. can't remember the brand name but the fiberglass arrow sits on top and the rest is a wheel that rolls as the arrow is shot. pretty simple and cheap.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
I wouldn't. You will get water,slime,guts and everything else in there. Have you considered buying a cheap older bow at a pawn shop and use that? I do not use my hunting bow for bow fishing. You can find bows for 30-50 dollars at pawn shops.
i also agree with this. i wouldn't use my hunting bow because of the abuse a bow fishing rig gets plus having to reset everything back for hunting after every bow fishing trip would be a pain. i kept an old hunting bow i use to have and turned it into a bow fishing rig. imo the best bow fishing rig is a 45# recurve anyhow. if i wouldn't have already had my old compound, i would have bought a recurve forbow fishing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks every body for your reply, ill probably go and get a cheapy long bow for bow fishing, and leave my hunting bow alone. Thanks for the feed back. =)

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Yeah definitely don't use your hunting bow because the smell sticks with your bow forever! Also I would suggest a roller rest. They are cheaper and work great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts