Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Alpine Whisper flight that's a great rest but try and I may my Blazer will not clear it! I've tried lengthening the cord and lowering it on the cable and everything in between! Might as well be shooting a Whisker:confused:

Would another brand of rest possibly be faster? I'm thinking about the Trophy Taker and maybe the G5 Expert.

Has anyone shot that G5 yet?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The G5 is a good rest...I got a Top Gun Prowler and I shoot a dream season it gets out of the way, thats really the only ones I know about, and theTop Gun Phantom

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I don't know the exact details of this rest, but for my QAD, moving the cord UP on the cable is what makes it drop sooner. I would give alpiine a call or an email before giving up. They also have a setup video if you haven't watched it, may be worth a look.

http://www.alpinearchery.com/restsetupvideo.html

Also are you shooting cock vane up? That makes it a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
most dropaway rests drop in plenty of time. Most dropaway rests bounce back up and then people think they are not falling fast enough. I am fortunate enough to have done some testing on previous and next years ripcord rests and even with the original spring tension(light and slow) it cleared in plenty of time for an xforce gx set at 28" of draw 71lbs shooting a 310gn arrow. Yes i know that is too light of an arrow for warranty but we where testing for speed and i shoot close to a 28" draw so that is what we used to approximate a 350fps bow. That and a shorter draw length mean less cable travel and slower drop speed on the rest so it was a worst case scenario and it still passed with flying colors. All contact, at least with ripcord rests, with drop away rest is mainly done through bounceback and not that the rest is not dropping fast enough. The best solution to this is rests like the limbdriver, QAD, and other rest designs with a brake in them or something that holds them down when they fall so they do not bounce back up.

To help solve your personal problem, play with the cord length and tension for your rest to change the timing of the bounceback. You should be able to solve it this way. One other way is to either put a rubber pad under your launcher which will also chance the timing/speed of the bounceback of your launcher. With these two methods you should be able to make your rest work with your bow. Also try bareshaft tuning. If your arrow is coming off the bow nock low then that could be slamming the vanes into your launcher causing contact as well. Many things to check and try out making sure cam timing, nock height and such would probably be a good start for this could cause the problem and it may not be a rest issue at all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You also may have a problem with your nock point, it may be low. causing the rear of the arrow to dip down after your release, causing the contact.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my set up is an Alpine Match Grade Silverado at 27" and 74lb. My arrows are 340 Camo FMJ's going probably 260'ish.

I put lib gloss on the under side of my vanes (I shoot cock up) and I get red on the top of the launcher.

Try moving the cord up on the cable first, then try shooting a raw shaft and playing with my nock placement? Copy

What about moving the cord from the cable to the cable slide?

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
So my set up is an Alpine Match Grade Silverado at 27" and 74lb. My arrows are 340 Camo FMJ's going probably 260'ish.

I put lib gloss on the under side of my vanes (I shoot cock up) and I get red on the top of the launcher.

Try moving the cord up on the cable first, then try shooting a raw shaft and playing with my nock placement? Copy

What about moving the cord from the cvable to the cable slide?
I'd probably try to keep the dropaway cable on the down cable. Going to the slide can cause interference on the shot.

If you're shooting cock vane up and still getting contact then you probably do need to raise the nock point a little. That's a lot of down force.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Rotate you nock if that dosn't work you arrow maybe over spin and the tail of the vane is shaming down on to the rest as it goes by. Thats one thing a over spin arrow will do is hit you buss cables or the rest.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The G5 Expert II is a awesome rest.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
Timing issues?

Windage flaws arnt just fletching contact...

Make sure your bow is put together properly.. i know it sounds goofy, but you wouldnt believe how many archery "pros" but stuff together wrong. (strings backwards..etc...)

Then make sure you bow is in spec... a t a and brace height. check the tiller and all that good stuff.

Start out with paper tuning... this is only a starting point.. get a good clean bullet hole.

then go to walkback tuning, sometimes this isnt nessicary, but sometimes it is.

then broadhead tune.. to get you field points and broadheads to get to group together.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rotate you nock if that dosn't work you arrow maybe over spin and the tail of the vane is shaming down on to the rest as it goes by. Thats one thing a over spin arrow will do is hit you buss cables or the rest.
Just try moving the cock around in a 360 until I clear the rest?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Qad hd

QAD HD or LD been shooting them for years easy set-up very reliable!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had this same problem with my Silverado Sabre. What I did was loosen the locknut on the bearing and retightened it to make sure that the rerest droped as fast a possible. Moved the pull cord down the cable slightly (this also helped with a slight cable wear problem). I was still getting a minimum of fletch contact but it did not seem to affect arrow flight. Finally I went cock down and now all the contact I get is along the vertical edge of the cock (it shows up only as a thin streak close to the middle of the rest arm. Next I will be trying rotating the nock to see if I can get rid of even this slight contact. :wink::wink:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I think it's gotta be bounce back! I tested an Match grade with a bow shooting 305 and didn't have any issues myself. Best rest around in my opinion has gotta be the Octane TripWire. I sell them and WISH I could put one on my bow but they don't fit hoyt's cuz of the tech riser.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts