Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People, help me decide on a rest.
I’ve decided on a bow, now I'm trying to decide on a rest.
I like the APA Ultimate rest, I like the design…very simple, plus it contains the arrow while hunting. I’ve always liked the TM hunter rest but never thought it was great for hunting because you really couldn’t nock an arrow and walk around without having to hold it upright or having an arrow holder (which never seemed to really work for me). The APA ultimate appears to be a great hunting rest because you can nock an arrow and the rest actually surrounds the arrow, so when you raise your bow to shoot, it actually slides down onto the two contact points.
But, I am trying to decide if the drop away rests really make that much of a difference. I like simple, especially on my hunting bow, and the drop away rests obviously have a lot of moving parts. So I’m a little skeptical about investing in one. What is the big advantage with a drop away? Are they a fad?
Which one of the rests would you choose and why?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If you want a "simple " rest for hunting the wisker bisquet is a great rest . For a fallaway the muzzy zerro effect is a good hunting rest .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No biscuits for me!

Jimmy,
No biscuits for me!!! Call me simple but it just doesn't sit right with me. Think about this, your pushing something forward. You want no resistance to slow you down. As I look at the whisker bisuit I see that the arrow has to fly through the whishers, obviously causing some resistance to the flight of the arrow. This just kinda sticks with me. I had considered the whisker biscuit until I found this APA rest, but since then I've eliminated it because the APA ultimate rest does everything I want/need.
I have no doubts it is a great rest. I hear on this board everyone signing their praise, somethin' has got to be right about them. But I think the APA ultimate is more appropriate for me versus the whisker biscuit. My bow is for bowhunting first, 3D second.
But I'm trying to figure out whether the APA rest is for me or if the drop aways really do make a noticable difference.
Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
No Whiskers 4 me

I don't like the biscuit either though there are many who do so it is a personal choice. I've switched to a dropaway last year on my target bowand this year on my hunting bow. It's more than a fad and for us average archers it adds one more degree of forgivness. My groupings tightened up immediately after installing one and I now feel very comfy out to 30 yards where before my limit was 25 or so for hunting. I've only seen one fall away that had an integeral arrow holder SMC or some such. However the rubber arm that held the arrow on had to drag off the top as the arrow was drawn back. I didn't care for that. I started with a Tiger Tuff economy model regular prong rest that I had laying around and bought the kit to convert it to a fall away. I was amazed at how well it worked. I put a Trophy Taker on my Q2 for hunting and I just love it. If I was to give advice on a fall away rest Trophy Taker would be my choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
NAP?

What about the NAP Quick Tune Drop Away 2000 or 4000? Not sure of their cost, but probably relatively inexpensive. The gentlemen/shop I'm buying my Extreme VFT from is very inexpensive. My bow is only going to be $549 and we compared prices on other items I wanted and he beat most all prices of all accesories I wanted. I ended up purchasing most from Bass Pro in Orlando, they were offering 15% off to all military and I made the most of it!
Thanks.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
hey,
the main thing about drop aways is that it has complete fletch clearence, and sometimes more accurate.
if you don't want to spend the money on a high quality one, like a trophy taker, then you can get a bodoodle. i didn't like it because it bent for me, but a lot of other people like it. it has comeplete fletch clearence, but is not a drop away. i got mine for 30$.
if you want a drop away, i would go with the hunter version of the trophy taker, it is great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts