Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what rests you guys prefer? I’ve been using a Limbdriver Pro V for years and have few complaints. I do not like the QAD at all. Really not a fan of cable driven. Thinking of trying the Hamskea or possibly the new Ripcord drop away. What’s your guys favorites?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a Hamskea Hybrid Pro on my current Hoyt CD34 setup and just ordered my new Prime Centergy with an AAE DOA to try it out. My problem is even things I like I generally don’t stick with unless I get really impressed with them and change every year or two. That said, I really like the Hamskea, tuned very well and has not caused me any issue. Used it in a variety of weather conditions. Even worked flawlessly last Saturday in low single digits temps hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've always used and loved the qad hdx. Just curious, what didn't you like about the qad?

·
Hunter of many things
12,121 Posts
Hamskea all day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Love my pro v. I wouldn’t switch if I were you, but if you do, Ive heard good things about the hamskeas

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have never had an issue with hamskea. Had 3 different Qad on a 330 FPS bow and had fletching contact with all of them and couldn’t get those rests to shoot. Hamskea all the way for me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The fletching contact with the QAD is a timing issue, no matter how fast you are shooting. It is hard to beat a well tuned/timed QAD.

·
Coram Deo
3,287 Posts
We have:

Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Micro
Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
AAE Pro Drop
AAE DOA

Have had:
QAD HDX
NAP Apache
NAP Quickdrop
TT Pronghorn.

I like the Hamskea best. Stops before it hits my riser, big wide launcher to pick up my arrow, micro adjustable (and for backup). Nothing I don't like.

I like the Pro Drop well enough, although I've had cables and launchers break in NFAA competition. For hunting I want a wider launcher to pick up the arrow no matter what.

I use the Smackdown for hunting but will switch to a Hamskea this fall because the Smackdown doesn't have a micro adjustment for backup in case the main screw loosens.

The DOA is nice if you don't mind pre-cocking. It stays up longer so it's great for slower bows. My son uses it at 40# DW.

The QAD is a standard and a good rest. I just prefer limb-driving myself these days.

The Apache micro is my favorite cable lifted rest. I prefer limb driven now.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,952 Posts
Having worked at a archery shop I set up a lot drop rests, but going on 5 years ago so haven't set up many of the new ones out. They all work if set up correctly - just follow instructions is all. Cables aren't all that bad, but again follow instructions. Seemed most problems came from the cord tied in too low on the cable. Too low and pressure made the tie-in slip up because of being too straight. I never had complaints of tying in about in line with the bottom of the shelf and launch arm up 1" or so from full draw.

Went with the original Limb Driver during the summer of 2010 and still have the same one. Bought another later and then the updated model they call the Pro. Never saw the need to go back or try another. The Pro is only different in that either limb can be used. Haven't used the Pro V because is looks similar to the old Bodoodle. It may be the cat's meow, but the V drops angularly which turns me off.

Old Bodoodle Doodle Drop - weight drops the cradle (not the best, but it worked). No tension on the cable to speak of. Yep, draw cord just through the cable and a knot. Drove people nuts that had other cable drop rests ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a QAD HDX on my old bow, no complains really. But just got a Hamskea for my new bow. My new favorite; Oozes quality. Smooth as silk, built like a tank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro Micro Tune. Limb driven. Easy to set up.

It's basically the target rest with full capture for hunting. It's a bad ass rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Cummins Power
2,405 Posts
Hamskea is a great rest....

AAE DOA or the new version coming the AAE PROPhecy... that's what will be on my bows.

·
"Keep Hammering"
7,998 Posts
I have never had an issue with hamskea. Had 3 different Qad on a 330 FPS bow and had fletching contact with all of them and couldn’t get those rests to shoot. Hamskea all the way for me.
You didn't have it setup right, Which 330 fps bow were you shooting? I had them on my 80lb Monster 6 with 405 grains and never once had contact issues!

·
"Keep Hammering"
7,998 Posts
Curious what rests you guys prefer? I’ve been using a Limbdriver Pro V for years and have few complaints. I do not like the QAD at all. Really not a fan of cable driven. Thinking of trying the Hamskea or possibly the new Ripcord drop away. What’s your guys favorites?
Out of curiosity why are you not a fan of cable driven?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Out of curiosity why are you not a fan of cable driven?
Just never like them. Seen a lot of them with issues. Be it tuning, or timing, seems I’ve seen more issues with cable driven. Broken launcher arms. I know set up and done properly they work, but you get a random cable stretch or something they can be problematic. I’ve always had great luck with Limbdriven. The shop I worked in we hardly ever had issues with limbdriven. Had more issues with cable driven. Not tons but more. Really just personal preference.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
If you like limbdriven rests look at the Smackdown Pro. I preferred it over the Pro V that I tried. You can load the arrow through the side and the cable goes to your lower limb.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The nock on ELEVATE 2.0 seems to be a pretty good rest. I dont think it is cable driven. But i agree with the other poster, I cant part with my Ultrarest HDX.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts