Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For spot and 3D I shoot with a bodoodle rest, like it very much. But was considering a drop away. Why I dont know need input, pro and con. Thanks for your time and input.

· Registered
193 Posts
Not for me. Last year i shot one and during a field round i had issues with it after we got soaked in a pretty good rain. I went to a launcher after that. Also I have seen them cost some friends of mine some points when they didn't function right. For a target bow I will be sticking with a blade. No moving parts, and it guides your arrow a little better in my opinion. I like the security of knowing nothing much can go wrong with them too.

· Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm given up on the drop aways too.

I always seem to have issue's with drop aways, fletching clearance, strings breaking, not dropping fast enough,ect.... went back to a prong on my hunting and a spring steel for target.

Easy to tune and worry free.

· Registered
5,959 Posts
I'm starting to rethink the entire concept. The more you read about how they need to stay up as long as possible the more I wonder what the point is. There are no clearance issues with a prong style rest, right, the fletching passes right between?

· Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm starting to rethink the entire concept. The more you read about how they need to stay up as long as possible the more I wonder what the point is. There are no clearance issues with a prong style rest, right, the fletching passes right between?
It is hard to clear helical vanes or feathers through a prong rest. A drop away allows you to use any vane, feather or FOB set-up you want. The LimbDriver IMO is the best drop away out right now because of the adjustable spring tension and the limb-driven launcher.

· Registered
738 Posts
Dropaway

First let me say all ive ever shot is dropaways, so i may be alittle biased. My brother shoots a matthews SB, with a whicker biscuit. I have a BT Allegiance. My groups have always been better than his. It has always bugged him a little. He talked to our pro shop, and ended up with the Trophy ridge Drop-Zone just like mine. His groups have shrank to the size of mine now. I know this wasn't a bodoodle, and i know nothing about them. But have had several drop-aways and never had a problem. Rain shine or snow, mine perform flawless every time out. Hope this helps you some.

· Registered
9,514 Posts
Well I'll be the first to be Pro drop away, I use the Muzzy ZE on both of my Mathew's without any issue's of weather, cord's, or whatever the other issue's guys have stated before.

That's my 2 cent's worth:darkbeer:

· Registered
5,959 Posts
It is hard to clear helical vanes or feathers through a prong rest. A drop away allows you to use any vane, feather or FOB set-up you want. The LimbDriver IMO is the best drop away out right now because of the adjustable spring tension and the limb-driven launcher.

Good point but for 3-d I use a low profile 2" straight vane so any prong rest should give me clearance

· Registered
12,196 Posts
I did a thread in the 3D forum a while back about what people are shooting, and I would say about 1/3 of responses said Limb Driver. I'm having problems with my arrow staying on a prong launcher, so I'm considering going to a Limb Driver myself.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
I did a thread in the 3D forum a while back about what people are shooting, and I would say about 1/3 of responses said Limb Driver. I'm having problems with my arrow staying on a prong launcher, so I'm considering going to a Limb Driver myself.
For containment purposes I'd take a look at the QAD pro LD. The Limbdriver will hold the arrow lot better than a prong, but the QAD offers full containment.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
I agree, my understanding was that one of the big draws to a dropaway rest was that it could lessen the effects of torque during the follow through. If the rest stays up too long, that benefit is lost.

· Registered
12,196 Posts
For containment purposes I'd take a look at the QAD pro LD. The Limbdriver will hold the arrow lot better than a prong, but the QAD offers full containment.
Interesting. I'm not interested in full containment, though; my arrows just have a tendency to fall off the side of the prong when I turn the cams over and hit the wall (I don't hunt with my rig). I probably also need heavier tips, but that's another issue entirely.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
i've shot bodoodles alot. i've also shot spring steel rests and drop aways. i had a problem on one of the drop aways, but i don't really blame the issue on the fact that is was a drop away...more of a problem with the rest all together.
other than that the only real difference i have seen in accuracy is that with the bodoodles and spring steels i could actually push a shot into the 10 ring or x or 12 ring --whatever---that broke a little low.
on the other side though, that shows me that you can influence a shot after it breaks....so if you have a problem torqueing the bow or grabbing it when you shoot, you may find the drop away more forgiving.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Ive gone to the Whammy drop away by Spot Hog it works different than a standard drop away it hooks to the up cable and drops at the last second. I have actually unhooked the cable and it shoots like a standard prong rest so if it comes loose in the woods or on the 3/d course its all good.:shade:

· Registered
1,002 Posts
The prong style rests require some down force on the arrow to stay on the rest. Shooting "off the string" with the release below the nock provides this down force. Using a loop requires the loop to be installed with a spacer below the arrow nock (either a nockset or a made from string spacer) in order to generate some down force on the arrow.
One thing I've noticed is that when agressive cams such as the ones on hunting bows roll over abruptly and the draw stop hits the limbs, the hard bump produced tends to want to knock the arrow off the prongs. This can rapidly turn into a dangerous situation if your arrow is a little short, so be careful.
JMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.