Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using a whisker bisquit and was thinking about converting to a drop away. Was looking for pros and cons for the switch. If the pros out way the cons what are your recommendations on which one to purchase. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Cons: Getting the timing just right takes a little trial and error for some shooters. It's also a mechanical piece which has the potential to fail eventually.

Pros: Much more forgiving of shooter errors compared to a WB, so you're usually more accurate with them. Slightly faster arrow speeds (1-2 FPS usually). A little less noise since the fletching doesn't have to pass through all the whiskers.

I shoot a QAD drop away, but always keep my old WB with me just in case.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Drop away vs WB.

Drop away is not affected by rain etc whereas the WB has the opportunity to freeze in cold weather if it is wet. Resulting in poor flight due to the fletching trying to go thru frozen or wet bristles.

Someone me ruined timing on the drop aways. Yes, they must be timed correctly to avoid fletching contact. However, timing isn't too bad. Especially on the limb driven style drop away rests, it's super easy.

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse, but depending on your shooting abilities now you might see an increase in accuracy because the arrow is supported by the rest for a shorter period of time with a drop away resulting in less opportunity for form and shooter error to have an effect on arrow flight.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Pro's, no contact, a gain of MAYBE 3 FPS and improved accuracy beyond 50-60 yards. Information from videoed testing not from my own experience.

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
I am currently using a whisker bisquit and was thinking about converting to a drop away. Was looking for pros and cons for the switch. If the pros out way the cons what are your recommendations on which one to purchase. Any help will be appreciated.
the pro is that they are more forgiving of bad form,, not that they are more accurate,, usually that is a perception of people who had such bad form the biscuit was blamed for bad accuracy when it is the shooter causing the problem...
big fan of the vapor trail limb driver pro v,, dependable, easy to set up and easy to fix if it does get out of tune for any reason,,, you don't have to take it to a shop to reset, you can do it sitting in the stand... and timing is very easy, unlike some others fall away rests

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Drop away vs WB.

Drop away is not affected by rain etc whereas the WB has the opportunity to freeze in cold weather if it is wet. Resulting in poor flight due to the fletching trying to go thru frozen or wet bristles.

this is not a true statement,, any rest can freeze if its raining and below freezing temps,, in that case the whisker biscuit is the superior rest,,,, I see this lame argument all to often, all you have to do with the biscuit is stick you finger through the bristles if its frozen,, any mechanical rest is going to have trouble with the actual rest being frozen in place up or down, and the pull cable also being frozen,,, their are no internal components inside the biscuit,, all of the fall always have internal parts latches or springs and even both,, they can most certainly freeze and create a bigger problem to fix

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I had a wb and had no trouble. I didn't experience speed loss. I just didn't like the fletching hitting. And with either I would think they would freeze but if it's raining and freezing I'm gonna be in a blind so it doesn't matter. I like my qad though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Same here with what everyone else said... started with a WB and tried a QAD, now getting a QAD HDX.. wont go back

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a whisker biscuit, if set up and tuned properly. I just feel that a good drop away is a little better. But lots of animals have been killed with arrows shot through a biscuit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I posted this question I have been doing some research and I am finding that there might be a possible problem with set up on PSE. I shoot the Brute X and was wondering if there is any truth to this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts