Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wood scientist
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter, very petite, shooting 29 pounds with a 24"DL, currently has a WB rest on her Mission Menace, a small split limb bow. I'm sure most of you are familiar with that bow.
She shoots pretty well with it.
Maybe to get a little more consistency, should I expect that if I switched to a dropaway rest that her groups would improve? And, if so, what would be a rest that would work for such a low poundage, and should it be a cable attached rest or a limb driven rest? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My daughter, very petite, shooting 29 pounds with a 24"DL, currently has a WB rest on her Mission Menace, a small split limb bow. I'm sure most of you are familiar with that bow.
Maybe to get a little more consistency, should I expect that if I switched to a dropaway rest that her groups would improve? And, if so, what would be a rest that would work for such a low poundage, and should it be a cable attached rest or a limb driven rest? Thanks for the help!
Regardless of poundage I'm partial to a limb driven drop away (easier to fix if out in the field and the string pops, just carry extra material and whatnot). That being said adjusting or knocking the limb driven cable can affect the launch angle of the arrow off the rest. As for consistentcy, yeah a dropaway will help because you'll be able to work on tuning the bow a little better, which helps consistency. That said it all depends on how seriously she shoots and what she shoots for (hunting, wanting to shoot target etc.). If she's really into shooting, putting her in a lesson or 2 would work wonders as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
My bow is relatively low poundage and pretty slow. I use a limb driven dropaway and agree with chiefwhackabuck that a limb driven rest is a solid and simple option. I have a friend who had a stroke and now shoots a Menace with a dropaway. Not sure what his poundage is, but it works. His dropaway is a QAD.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,780 Posts
honestly i have not seen a big difference in accuracy or consistency when i made a switch from the biscuit to a drop away. if you can get one on the classifieds for a good deal then i would go ahead and do it. but within 50 yards i have seen marginal, if any, major improvements. i like my drop away but there is just something so appealing about the simplicity of the whisker biscuit

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
Not knowing what her groups are like I doubt a rest will do much for you, unless the bow isnt paper tuned and is flinging arrows sideways. I would spend more time on her form, DL and her release.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My son's scores instantly improved when adding a drop away. It obviously masked some flaws he had that the biscuit was punishing him for. In hind sight maybe should have had him work through those but on thr other hand he got very motivated when his scores improved. I got him a tru glo carbon xs. Bought it on a whim. It's very inexpensive, light, and reversible for left and right handed. It kind of like a cross between a limb and cable driven. It attached to down moving cable but it doesn't operate like a qad per say. It just moves with the cable movement. I probably would have gone limb driven but it was a spur of the moment purchase. Had no problems with it on his mission craze. I think he was about 23 inches draw and about 25 lbs when i put that on. Just have to make sure it not up all the way too early or it'll pull on that cable and throw off cam timing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just sold my VXR and Traverse this week. Ordered an RX-4 and the wait is 4-6 weeks. I lost my mind within the first two days and went to my local shop to find SOMETHING to use till it arrives. I try to shoot almost every day if it’s nice out. Anyways, I went to my local bow shop and found a Demo RX-3 that was in amazing condition. I picked it up and threw a whisker biscuit on it to keep the cost down as i already had a spot hogg sight at home and a wick stick stabilizer setup for it. And i have a $1600 bow on the way so I didn’t need anything too fancy. I’ve shot QAD Drop aways on ALL my bows except this one. I had an RX-3 before i sold it for the VXR and Traverse but i decided I’m going back to Hoyt. Anyways, i shoot the same groups with this whisker biscuit as i did the $250 Integrated QAD rests on both my mathews and the QAD i had on my old Hoyt. However, I am only shooting at 20-30 yards I haven’t tested it at 50 and 60 yards as my house doesn’t have that much backyard. I usually go to my family’s farm or my parents house to shoot 50-80 but so far the difference is not noticeable. I could shoot at those longer distances and be completely wrong but at 20-30 yards my shots are literally grouping the exact same. If she still wants one by all means! But don’t feel like you have to. Chances are at her draw weight she’s not shooting too terribly far for drop away to have any benefit over a whisker biscuit. But again if she wants to upgrade by all means they are great rests! But on paper it won’t really benefit her much. And i mean no disrespect at all when i say that. Here’s some pics of my groups with a whisker biscuit. This is the FIRST time I’ve ever had a biscuit on any of my bows. So far i must say.... for the price... you really CANT go wrong. Most people don’t know this but when bows are tested for IBO speeds a whisker biscuit is used. So that says something.

Attachments

·
wood scientist
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bow is very well-tuned and she has excellent form. Max score for hunters safety is 200. She averages 188 and ranges between 185 and 193. Just looking to improve that some.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most any good drop away will work, I like the vapor trail. Easy setup, easy to fix, if the cable has a problem.

Jim

·
wood scientist
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I mentioned that at the beginning. I wanted to get some thoughts about each type. My concern is cable attachment and effect on system and performance at low poundage.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Qad hdx will work fine for her

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am a firm believer that less contract between an arrow and an arrow rest promotes cleaner arrow flight.

I have a Fuse Ultra Rest drop away style rest for sale. If interested, PM me with a cell number and I will be glad to share photos with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts