Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you have ever put an arrow in a mature Buck and had him drop in his tracks? I have taken my share of mature animals and the closet that I've had one drop was around twenty yards from point of impact.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The deer I have dropped in their tracks or seen dropped has been when they were either spined, or hit high in the shoulder. I think the high shoulder hits transferred enough energy to the spine that they had the same effect. Now, I have had deer fall or stumble to the ground after shots and then got back up, usually on a shot that breaks a rib.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
my dad did it to an elk

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
In my opinion, only a poor shot drops a deer in its tracks. Basically has to be a spine shot. I've done it once and watched a buddy do it once. Both times, I had to get down and finish the job. :(

Double-lung is your target. You're not shooting a gun. Blood trailing is an essential part of bowhunting.

Best Regards,
Byron

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
In my opinion, only a poor shot drops a deer in its tracks
Doesn't this seem like a strange statement to make? I'd never say that the spine is an ideal aiming point simply because it's easy to miss, but with the idea behind the shot being to kill the animal dropping in it's tracks doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
the oldest buck i shot with a bow was aged at 8 1/2 he was also the farthest ive had one go about 80 yards.

·
Archer
2,379 Posts
KSNimrod said:
Doesn't this seem like a strange statement to make? I'd never say that the spine is an ideal aiming point simply because it's easy to miss, but with the idea behind the shot being to kill the animal dropping in it's tracks doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
The oldest buck I ever shot was a spine hit, a bad shot. I missed my mark. The buck didn't die immediately and I had to finish the job with a second arrow thourgh the vitals and still had to wait for the inevitable. I don't ever what to do that again! Dropping the animal in his tracks is not killing the deer any quicker and it looks very painful. That's not ethical hunting. Harvesting the animal in the most humane fashion possible that should be our goal.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
KSNimrod said:
Hitting the deer's spine most often does NOT kill it immediately. Many times the deer is only paralyzed and will need another arrow to finish it off. Certainly not the kind of shot a bowhunter tries to make if he wants a quick and humane kill.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with Mel

While a spine shot WORKS in most cases....the animal is NOT dead NOR is it normally a lethal shot by itself. :thumbs_do

After three unforntuate shots that spined the deer I shot at and HUNDREDS that have came in my shop .....ever single one......had to be shot again. :thumbs_do

Yes it WORKS......but the animals suffering, horror and whatever else it causes is JUST NOT WORTH IT! :thumbs_do

IF you want to "drop" your deer. Buy a gun and take both shoulders out, that will take out the lungs too and produce one very quickly dispatched trophy. :thumbs_up

Spine shots are NOT pretty to see....if that makes no difference to ANYONE reading this post, you have no respect for your quarry. (and that's putting it as NICELY as I can) :cry:

·
Only visiting this planet
4,216 Posts
I agree that a quick humane kill is our objective. I also agree that a spine shot is low percentage and should not be what we typically aim for.
Those things both being true, a spine shot will most often be a poor shot, misjudged distance, ducking deer etc.
In this instance, it should be considered fortunate and I would be thankful for it, because the alternative could be a worse hit, that doesn't drop the animal where it can quickly be humanely finished.
However, I'll go along with KSNimrod on this one, because surely there must be instances where the shot distance+hunter skill+shot angle etc make aiming for that shot a good choice....?

Does anyone have any experiences of this or are we too scared of being flamed?

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
Fellas I'm not saying a spine shot kills a deer because it does not. However, if you drop that deer in it's tracks because you hit it in the spine you ought to be able to put another arrow in it. If it takes a minute to die right in front of you and you have to watch -OR- if it runs 100 yards and dies out of sight the animal still dies. Should it shake you up a bit to watch it? YES. Is it the same thing that's going on over the ridge when you double lung him? YES.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry but

Should it shake you up a bit to watch it? YES. Is it the same thing that's going on over the ridge when you double lung him?
NOOO! sorry....no it isnt.

A spine shot deer will trash, bleat, waller around.....eyes bulging in terror till the second arrow does its work. Comparing the second arrow to the first of a double lung is not apples to apples. IMO.

A double lunged deer in my experience, shot with a sharp arrow will half the time run about 40 yards and go down.....in LESS than 8 seconds.

No panic, bleating, trashing.........just ........down they go...2 or 3 kicks and done.

JUST my opinion but .......the ONLY spine shot I would even THINK about would be STRAIGHT down with an arrow I feel will get into the lungs/heart area.

To each there own but I simply do not think the "same thing" happens, comparitively.

·
Registered
127 Posts
HeWhoHunts said:
NOOO! sorry....no it isnt.

A spine shot deer will trash, bleat, waller around.....eyes bulging in terror till the second arrow does its work. Comparing the second arrow to the first of a double lung is not apples to apples. IMO.
comparitively.
The panic and the fear is still their the wallering and thrashing is not because the animal dosen't have any air.

A spine shot is a bad shot, however either way an there is death and panic involved.

It is just a fact of our sport. Practice, have confidence and hit your mark!

·
Registered
215 Posts
sorry again..

After more than 3 dozen bowkills I have yet to see one PANIC on a good shot.

As I said....most (as in all I remember) run off and turn around and look back in curiousity.

Done here........I have said my piece.

Do what you want...it is your conscience.........not mine.

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
The panic and the fear is still their the wallering and thrashing is not because the animal dosen't have any air
That's kind of what I'm getting at. The "double lung dead in a few seconds never aware they've been shot" is the ideal. It's what I aim for. But if that were consistantly happening then why all the "wait this long for this type of hit" articles/questions? The reality of what we do is that the animal winds up dead. The speed and tranquility of that death is an interesting and fairly recent ethical question in the history of hunting. I'll confess I'm still trying to figure out why I believe what I believe.

·
Registered
547 Posts
cow elk

Last year I shot a cow elk and droped her in her track. I hit heart and both lungs and she turned a 180 and droped in her tracks and rolled down the hill and ended up about 10 ft from where I was standing when I shot! It was pretty awesome to say the least. :shade:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I had one buck drop in his tracks, never quite understood it though. It was a quartering away, right in the furnace and he dropped where he stood, crawled/dragged himself 2 or 3 feet and that was it. One other deer I shot, I actually second guessed myself and wondered how I missed. The deer never flintched, took 2 steps and fell over.

Question, how do you identify panic in an animal. Unless you are talking about the flight reflex to run of a spine shot deer that can't....

I my observations of arrowed deer, it seems that their reaction is usally based on the point of impact and the degree in which they are wounded. That determins how the respond at the instant of impact, how their body responds, the way they run/walk and the distance they will travel. I have had them bolt like they were shock with a cattle prod and run a 100 yards or walk 40 yards and bed down and as I said before drop in their tracks or take 2 steps and fall over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts