Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm only 14 but learning to tune myself. My question is, on my Experience I had a monkey tail and 2 rubber speed buttons, total of 26 grains in weight. It shot 281 through the crono, I removed the monkey tail and the speed buttons but I'd didn't add any speed ? It shot the same speed. I though removing weight on the string would make it faster ?

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,197 Posts
The speed buttons do what they are named for......adding speed. Put them back in the same location as they were installed and you should see your speed increase a few FPS.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I called them the wrong name. The speed buttons I was referring to were just the 2 rubber beads that you would use if you were shooting off the string. I'm using a d-loop.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
I wish my bow would shoot 281 through the crono.

·
Socket Man
24,303 Posts
26 grains isn't very much when it is away from the d-loop as much as the monkey tails are. when I am experimenting with speed nocks I find that adding weight makes the speed change until some point where the speed will either stay the same or get worse. Get yourself some brass nocks and put them on and do your own experiment, you don't have to crimp them to tight to do the experiment and take them off when done and find what combination of weight gives you some speed.

Weight on the string closer to the d-loop affects the speed of the bow even more.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
The speed gains from removing what is a small amount of weight on the string is very much exaggerated, as you have found out by experience.
I would have expected no more than a max of a couple of fps.
More important is how the bow feels and sounds now you have removed the string silencers.
If it has more noise and vibration you might have to consider putting back some string silencers.
If you do, try them just a couple of inches from the cams, they can dual as speed nocks.

Kev

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
What you removed are not speed buttons/nocks.
The Monkey tails are a silencer, not much weight there. The other buttons were eliminator buttons to prevent nock pinch from your release.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What you removed are not speed buttons/nocks.
The Monkey tails are a silencer, not much weight there. The other buttons were eliminator buttons to prevent nock pinch from your release.
Yeah, I said that a couple posts ago. Total weight removed was 26 grains.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what Archerypal says my speeds should be with 46 grains on the string and with 20 grains on the string. Something is wrong because it's not even close to the 7-8 feet per second it says I should get.

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Chrono speeds can vary from one chrono to another and also how it was shot through it. For that few per second IMHO it's not worth worring about. Even two identical bows set up the same way can vary that much.
In my opinion anything that calculates speed is ballpark at best.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chrono speeds can vary from one chrono to another and also how it was shot through it. For that few per second IMHO it's not worth worring about. Even two identical bows set up the same way can vary that much.
In my opinion anything that calculates speed is ballpark at best.
I was expecting it to jump up like 7-8 feet per second like it says. If it was only 2 or 3 feet per second I wouldn't care. O well guess there's just something I'm not doing right.

·
Archery
10,493 Posts
I was expecting it to jump up like 7-8 feet per second like it says. If it was only 2 or 3 feet per second I wouldn't care. O well guess there's just something I'm not doing right.
Never going to happen.

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Just calculating string weights is not the only thing that effects speed----------there are many other factors. Your young, IMHO your worring about something that in the big scheme of things has little relvence. Shot placement is "everything" not how fast it gets there.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're probably right, I just don't understand how they figure on Archery Pal that dropping that weight off the string would make it 7-8 feet per second faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts